Large Amber Mystery Blob Bottle (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ladyp3797

Reaction score
I am so excited!! But I REALLY need help on this one!!!

I just bought this really cool, umm, bottle I think, at an auction over the weekend. I think it looks like it is perhaps a novice glass blower’s experiment, or someone’s practice run. My husband says he thinks it’s a bed warmer...help!!!
Thisawesome ‘thing’ is 9.5 inches long, about 2.75 inches in diameter at the bottom. Around the pontil scar it is etched with, “Chass`e†and ‘71. The top is very thick, the hole is uneven, the glass tapers thickly about an inch from the crude top. There are bubbles throughout the glass, some larger most minute.
Blob1.jpg

Blob2.jpg

Blob3.jpg

Blob4.jpg

Blob5.jpg

Blob6.jpg

Best guess’s or for sure info greatly welcomed and appreciated!!!
Thanks,
LadyP

Attachments

• Tr50698.jpg
    Tr50698.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 94

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Ladyp, wow that certainly is an interesting looking 'thing'! It doesn't appear from the photos that there's any wear marks on the surface of the glass to indicate use or age. Is the top sheared? It's hard to tell from photo. Could this be a piece from a fledgling glass studio? It almost looks like sculpture more than a bottle hmmmm?

woody

Reaction score
I presume the 71' is 1971 and that this was an attempt to blow a bottle.
Probably from a glass studio, as Maine digger suggested.

ladyp3797

Reaction score
I really don't dare to judge if it is sheared or not Maine Digger, I am not quite knowledgable enough with something like this to judge, I am going to try scanning it tomorrow, I lost the right light for the best photos late this afternoon. So, I will update the pics. The top is smooth, but not level.
LP

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Hi Woddy,
That was my first guess, a trial, or a kind of souvinir type piece. There were allot of really awesome bottles at the auction, but they went way out of my league, price wise. I got this piece, for a buck. To me the worst case senerio is I got absolutely no less than a fabulous conversation piece,.... for a buck! Didn't feel like I could go wrong! [:D]

I bought another really neat one that I have been researching like crazy, but haven't found the right match yet, I will see about getting it on tomorrow too.
Thanks very much for responding, this is by far the best palce to turn to!

LP

ladyp3797

Reaction score
[;)] Thanks Eddie, It certainly isn't something you see everyday! I will probable try and research the name edtched a little. There allot of french Canadians around, and the auction was a bottle collectors estate collection. I ended up with some old Canadian Magazines mixed in with the "Old Bottle Magazine"s I got. The auction house may be willing to give me a lead or something. A colector would be one those ' mad about bottles' enough people who may be likely to check out a class or demonstration, and have a souvinir.

Figuring out WHAT you have, is so much part of the fun!!
LP

David E Dearden

Reaction score
You said to give it your best shot, well here is one however my listing is not the same as your bottle and there is not much on it but if you live in the area that would help. But I think most of the time the mark on the bottom is the bottle maker and I find nothing on that, so hear it is.
CHASE'S/DYSPEPSIA CURE
Newburgh NY Advertised in 1910.

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Hi David,
I would love to check that out further, can you tell me how?[8|]
Or perhaps I should say, Where?[8|]
[:-]Do you have a link to the listing?

Any help is much appreciated!![:D]

LP

David E Dearden

Reaction score
The Bottle Book (A comprehensive guide to historic embosed medicine bottles )1986.
However you should check your libaery first as it costs less.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85