LARGE BOTTLE TO ID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I'm sick of the shattering of a family bottle passed from my mom that was a bottle in my dad's (deceased) body shop. It is approx 3 foot high with 2.5 inch mouth opening in nice light teal color. This thing has been around forever, but since I believe it was an acid/chemical bottle used for the body shop business as early as 1920, I believe it's not yet an antique.....but old. Meant an awful lot to me and the family.

I really want to replace this though the sentimental loss is already there. I can't believe my wild kids have finally broken something that has been around for probably 80 years and survived me AND my five siblings!

My husband recovered the markings on the bottom "W.T. Co O" hope that helps someone!

Reaction score
Me again! Through some research on an identifying markings listing here, I found it was made by Whitall Tatum Company most likely after 1901 because of the WT CO marking was used after this date. Does anyone have a vendor who might sell me one? I still have not found a picture of what I owned.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it sounds like some kind of demijohn or carboy. There are dozens of different styles of these things. Try going to a bottle show in your area. They usually have a couple of the big ones for sale. Most people dont bother trying to sell them online since they cost so much to ship.

ronvae

Reaction score
Did you keep the pieces? There are some folks on this forum that have talked about amazing things on the "Cleaning & Repairing" forum, and even if this would be a huge pain, it sounds like it would be worth it to your family...

Reaction score
Good suggestions both Ron and Gunther. I actually MADE my husband keep all the pieces as well, thinking at the very least I could do some sort of cement/glass project with the pieces. I'm soooooo sentimental! Thanks for the thoughts, and I might try both.

Leave it to my wild kids to break something that has stood the test of a LONG time and being used and kicked around in a body shop attic for 80 or so years!!! ARGGHH

Reaction score
FIRST PIC

Om32937.jpg

Attachments

• Om32937.jpg
    Om32937.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 66

David E

Reaction score
Go to here to see Whitall Tatum

http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/whitalltatum.html

Latest posts