Large Crystal found in dump.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

harryr1961

Reaction score
I couldn't believe this when I got it washed up. I thought at first in the mud that it was a piece of a chandelier or other art glass. It turns out to be a large crystal, possibly quartz, with many black and brown inclusions. It is 5 inches long. Bizarre!

41FD567D49E0434AA120E33B43C0C063.jpg

Attachments

• 41FD567D49E0434AA120E33B43C0C063.jpg
    41FD567D49E0434AA120E33B43C0C063.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 89

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Nice! I dug crystals at a national park in montana. The ones I found are about a 1/20 of that size. While I was there someone else dug one about the size of a baseball. I guess the larger ones are worth some money as they are big enough to be cut into jewelry. At least that is what I heard.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice..always amazed at what you can pull out of the ground!

I have a habit of pulling milky quartz or whatever they call it..I pulled one the other day (posted in the detecting reports thread) looks like the one we pulled out of the ground 2hrs north of us in the Copper Country.

How heavy is that thing?

harryr1961

Reaction score
Just under a pound. I have found a lot of strange stuff over the years, but this takes the cake. Is it still snowing there? I have relatives in Toivola, MI. Beautiful country in the UP. We used to own land my Mackinaw City. I sure miss the fall colors.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Nice discovery, what was the age of the dump, I always wonder about the projectile points and stuff you find in a dump that I'm thinking some kid found (always wonder where) and brought home and then somehow their treasures wind up in a dump - makes you think.....

ironmountain

Reaction score
hey harry... not snowing...for now. last week was up and down. This week it's been 40's at night and 70's during the day. Perfect for digging/metal detecting.

My wife grew up in Houghton. We spend alot of time there with her parents. Her mother is from Toivola originally. I'm sure her parents know your relatives. Father in law was county commish. for 10yrs or so and mother in law's family owns Mattila construction...

if you ever get away from PA and get up here, I'll take you digging.

the fall is awesome in Houghton. Not so much where I'm at (border of mich/wisc). We get pretty mild weather (other than 40mph winds at -50windchill) as far as snow goes. Maybe one good 10-12" dumping and that's about it. Bitter winds.

harryr1961

Reaction score
I'm in San Francisco, but if I'm in your neck of the woods I'll take you up on that, and same goes for here.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn