Largest Cobalt Lattice w/stopper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stormysouth

Reaction score
Need a little input. I came across the largest size lattice cobalt with the stopper. It has a small chip on the lip that someone tried to cover up with epoxy other that that it looks good. Not a dug bottle. They want $ 100.00 for it. Is it worth it?

Thank-you,

Lisa

Smile people will wonder what you've been up to. And it drives them nuts 'cause they don't know....

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Morning Lisa...

Digger O'Dell says you should never buy a damaged bottle, but in this case if you like it fine. Would you be buying it for your own enjoyment? A display bottle maybe or do you collect poisons and this is one you want for your collection?

Damaged and repaired pieces loose some of their value. If you really want the bottle, tell the guy, "Hey look, it's been damaged and then repaired..." you can't pay top dollar for a repaired piece... I'll let the "Bottle Jedi's" and "Obi-wan" Capsoda weigh in on this one...[&:]

Wayne

stormysouth

Reaction score
I am sorry I didn't know there was a gallon size this one is about a quart or a hair less. It is for my collection I have about 25 different poisons but no lattice. the chip is very, very small like the head of a pin give or take a milimeter. The antique shop wanted $ 137.00 but said she would take $ 100.00. It would be for my pleasure but I wouldn't want to throw a c-note out the window frivolously. My favorite is to dig them for free.
Please let me know about what one's worth.

Thanks for firing up the brain cells for me.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its a tough decision buying damaged bottles. If its a really cheap price its not too hard to decide but if they are asking a good portion of the bottles undamaged value it becomes harder. I always ask myself, is this a bottle that I'm not going to see for sale for another 10 years? If its something you need to file a hole in your collection and arent likely to see another one , go for it. If you are likely to see an undamaged one at a bottle show for a bit more money then pass on it.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I agree with Gunther !!! It really depends on the rarity and the price. I myself try to stay away from damaged stuff unless it is extremely rare. If you can get into the damaged piece at a greatly reduced price ...... than you can always upgrade if a better example comes along.

stormysouth

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on this one right now. Besides I like digging them not buying them.

Happy Holidays![:)]

bearswede

Reaction score
I've been having some luck buying damaged bottles and then repairing them... You can check my earlier posts for stuff I've done... I'll be posting a new project shortly... It's a bottle listed in "American Antique Medicine Bottles 2006 Price Guide" for $811; I got it for under $50... It has a sizable lip chip and is somewhat cloudy... I may try the watch-makers epoxy this time... It's supposed to survive tumbling...

Ron

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Bearswede...

Hey Ron, I should have had you take a look at that N. Woods that I had. I don't know if you saw it at any of the New England bottle shows, but it had a very tiny sliver out of the lip. I ended up selling it in a private sale for a fair price, but it was less than I wanted to sell it for... oh well[&o]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Lisa, Is the chip small, on the inside or out side of the lip. Hold the bottle up to the light and make sure there is no other damage or radiating cracks in the bottle or around the chip. If it is a quart size made before the turn of the century with a lattice stopper, in near mint condition it would be worth well over $100. If the chip is small and not to noticeable, weigh the pros and cons and go only by how you feel about the bottle and whether or not it fits your buget. A bottle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.[;)]

trussin

Reaction score
hey all,
Ive owned two of them. Make certain that the stopper is heavy glass and if it is. Buy it. Its a great bottle worth the 100 if there is no other damage. I sold both of them two years ago for 235 each. Both were perfect. One on ebay and one on a well known auction.
Joe in NJ

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28