Last Thing I Expected

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
went diggin' for about 3 hours this afternoon and got this unusual object for a dump. It was right down at the bottom of the trash layer.

Ge94120.jpg

Attachments

• Ge94120.jpg
    Ge94120.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 75

whiskeyman

Reaction score
here's the other side... I left the dirt & rust on it.

Bz77598.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77598.jpg
    Bz77598.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 78

IRISH

Reaction score
Some sort of odd axe blade that's split in half ????
There's some strange things in those dumps hey! [:D] .

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Charlie ..... your trash dump looks like it could be on top of some Indian artifacts. Better go back with your sifter and dig a little deeper and see what turns up.
Brian

bearswede

Reaction score
Native American grooved axe heads from Manhattan...

Om33276.jpg

Attachments

• Om33276.jpg
    Om33276.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 79

bottlejunkie

Reaction score
That definitely! will be your oldest find at the dump. any older and your in the Paleo era "caveman times". it's a 3/4 groove Axe from the Archaic period, your Axe is probably anywhere from 9,000-5,000 years old! congrats on a super find! my passion truly lies with Indian relic's, I have just recently started digging for bottles. they are similar in ways but the Indian Artifacts are thousands of times older! both hobbies are very addictive though. take care and happy hunting!

C.KYbottlejunkie/artifacthound

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN...to be honest that thought didn't cross my mind. I figured someone had tossed it out in the trash back in the 20's or 30's...but now that you mention it:
My dump is in/upon the sides of a huge sinkhole or ravine carved out by a large spring fed creek. May have made for a good campsite for Native Americans. I'll heed your advice and keep my eyes peeled...taking my screen with me next time,too.

BOTTLEJUNKIE...thanks a lot for that dating and other info. You're right: I won't find any bottles that old there...and this is addictive...Nothing like the thrill of the hunt.
Welcome to the Hobby!

RON...thanks for sharing the pic.

bearswede

Reaction score
No, Brian... I just wanted to show Charlie the type of artifact he'd found... Got it from the web...

Ron

Pettydigger

Reaction score
That is a cool find for a dump, my opinion is that it was tossed by the people who dumped trash in there. The rust on it says it has been in contact with metal it is not very likely it was just laying on the surface when they started dumping. I have heard of folks finding arrowheads while digging privys. Pettydigger

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr Peter Venkman