Late throws in a 1950s Dump!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I recently returned to a large 1940-60s town dump that had previously produced a nice Hero (w. maltese cross) fruit jar. Though lightning doesn't usually strike twice, I wanted to give it another try. The dump surrounds a small swamp, which was dry so I walked the edges. I found a nice looking half gallon fruit jar, which was solidly encased in large roots. Half an hour later I sadly abandoned the stupid thing, and then my digging buddy Mike came.

We moved back to where I had found the fruit jar, and about 25 insulators. Most were Hemingrays and Whitall Tatums with a few Brookfields and Am. Tel. & Elec. Cos. mixed in. This time we removed a large branch that was in the way last time, and I brought my clippers to negotiate with the nasty Japanese barberry which blankets the site. After two salvagable pyro milks, a Coca-Cola, and a few insulators, I ran into a pocket of fruit jar tops. They weren't your average Ball/Atlas tops, but Hero and CFJCo. tops indicating age. The zinc lids were toast, but we saved the nicer porcelain inserts. I also found an aluminum Smalley cap, and a Kline stopper. A Mason's CFJC. Improved w/o the bottom hinted of better things to come.

At one point I turned up a broken olive green whiskey. It was a narrow cylinder and whittled to death. Shortly thereafter I found a whole fruit jar, and when I brushed away the dirt around the top, I found it had a very strange top (which is good!). I pulled it out and couldn't believe I was holding a Sun fruit jar! There was no damage at all. I continued to find about 5 Sun lids, a fancy B.B. Wilcox jar lid, and three newer Sanfords jars with matching lids.

The icing on the cake was a semi-local Barbour's 18 Broad St. Westerly medicine. I didn't notice until I got home that it was the rare error version spelled Nesterly!

Needless to say I'll be coming back to this spot. I have a a feeling there is a bunch of jars under my large pile of tailings!

Quart Sun jar w. matching lid
7978030676_98fd4ccbfe_z.jpg

Sanfords quart, we also found a pint
7978030534_62d8a233a6_z.jpg

Wilcox jar lid
7978030598_89bae1cd48_z.jpg

Nesterly error medicine
7979628978_f5d4af7cb2_z.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
How could a mold engraver possibly make this error? You MUST be missing something! Go check old maps, directories or something. There MUST have been a NESTERLY, R.I. at sometime. [8D][8D][:D][:D] What a kick.

On a similar note, in 1979 we moved and opened a business in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Odd, to most outside folks, spelling. The YELLOW PAGES, essential to a new business where the locals don't like outsiders, misspelled the name of the town Cour D Alene. It took us three years to just begin to overcome that stigma as "outsiders". Business almost failed.

Bixel

Reaction score
I have seen worse spelling errors on bottles before. Sometimes you just have to wonder who fell asleep on the job.[;)]

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

How could a mold engraver possibly make this error? You MUST be missing something! Go check old maps, directories or something. There MUST have been a NESTERLY, R.I. at sometime.

Jim, I'm sure it was misspelled. I have about five versions with the Westerly spelling, and two more that say "Westerly, NY", which is another error. I think you can find both examples with apparent mold corrections.

3951608790_b3ff2c5607.jpg

2822935134_2f9ae6c1b7_z.jpg

splante

Reaction score
nice finds Taylor love that nesterly

madman

Reaction score
wow those are some nice finds! looks like you found an older dump, can i see apix of the top of the sanfords?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26