laying out a grid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwcw1040

Reaction score
Could you experienced privy locators explain to me some strategies on laying out a grid to find privys? How big of a grid do you work within, what distance do you run probe lines within the layed out grid, anything to explain gridding out a yard to find a privy? Thanks

lexdigger

Reaction score
The way we usually do it is to probe each and every square foot. We're not only looking for a privy, we also search for cisterns and trash pits. Shallow dump fill is common to find along foundations and fence rows as well. When probing, don't just stab it straight down into the ground. Try going in diagonally and feeling for subtle changes in the soil. Also try searching for wood, brick and stone lined walls. I've found that by using the diagonal method you will notice an increase in the amount of privies located. Whenever you get a Tag or think you're onto something, always try to bring up a soil sample on the tip of your probe. Look for black, white and red on the tip! After a while, you will get the feel for the natural ground and disturbed ground that's been filled in. Before long, you will know if you're hitting glass, brick, metal or stoneware!!! Always Listen to your probe, it will talk to you if you take the time to hear what it's saying!!! ;)

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
That is as cool of a response as you could get to that question by Lex. Probing a yard is a strange experience when you are first starting out, especially up here in New england, where people think you are nuts for asking. I've never gridded anything when probing. I'm too impatient. I just go with my gut,and stab the whole friggin yard, where ever I think they might have had a privy hole , or a clean out hole. Good luck!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28