Lets go Fiddleheadin`!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Speaking of spring time foods, anyone get any Dry Land Fish at the end of April? My mother and I used to hunt those all the time when I was a kid. I used to love them, but overtime I lost my interest in them flavor wise.

jesster64

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wangan

Finally on my way,I slowed down so as not to spook a couple of kids horses.Ahhh, life in the slow lane.I wouldn`t have it any other way.[;)] After fighting a horde of Black flies and sweating from picking Fiddleheads,its time to buy a cold beer in the next town because this one hasn`t any store.

Some people say Fiddleheads taste like Asparagus,but I think they taste like Fiddleheads.If you ever come up to Maine,you need to try them after they have had their 'onionskins' cleaned off them and cooked in a little salt pork and served with butter and maybe a touch of vinegar.I`m droolin` already![:D]

I believe anything cooked in salt pork and served with butter and vinegar must taste good. Thanks for the pictures. I once got behind a line of antique cars while driving. They must have been comming back from a show. Looking at them, I thought "Thats what it must have looked like to another driver 100 years ago".

Wangan

Reaction score
Yes AJ there are a few tarred roads but remember,this is the "Big City" at the end of the Earth![:D] Everything beyond this is just a dirt "goat path" and further on just "twitch trails".Twitch trails are roads made by skidders that drag timber out of the woods.We use them to get through some of the forests that a rabbit wouldnt want to try and travel through when Deer,Bear,Moose,etc.hunting! No 4 wheel drives or ATVs can traverse them because of all the trees and rocks in them,"shanks mare" only(<-on foot).Skidders wheels are as tall as a man.Some of these "twitch trails"are "winter" roads that are frozen in the winter but may be just a swamp in summer and impassable even for a skidder.Can you say Lewis and Clark?[:D]

Vinegar isnt necessary for Fiddleheads any more than it is for Spinach,but I love pickled foods like Eggs,Sausage,Ham hocks,Beets,Cucumbers,etc.[sm=tongue.gif]

RedGinger

Reaction score
I'd be interested to try those fiddleheads. I used to see them in the spring for sale up in your neck of the woods, Wangan. Sounds like a good recipe. It reminds me of my sauerkraut recipe. I buy it already made, but cook it with a piece of ham or bacon. Salt pork would work too.

We have a noisy skidder across the road where they are taking down tons of trees from the forest.

I love pickled beets, garlic, pretty much anything including pickles of course! I'm okay with pickled eggs. We use the leftover pickled beet juice and put them in there for a while.

Wangan

Reaction score
When you mentioned Garlic,I remembered Dilly beans(pickled string beans).I love Garlic.A friend of mine and I used to fight over the pickled cloves of Garlic in the Dilly beans his brother used to bring in to work.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Those are very good too. I try not to eat the garlic if I have an appointment or something or will be visiting with friends. My one friend loves the smell of anything garlic, so she doesn't mind. Did anyone ever explain what those land fish things are??

Wangan

Reaction score
I think they are the Morel mushrooms they were talking about but I may be way off base.When I think about it,what in the world would a mushroom have to do with a fish?[:D] Now you got me wondering too.Someone want to fill us in on what they are please?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75