Lets go Fiddleheadin`!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wangan

I think they are the Morel mushrooms they were talking about but I may be way off base.When I think about it,what in the world would a mushroom have to do with a fish?[:D] Now you got me wondering too.Someone want to fill us in on what they are please?

You are right on the money. Back in the hollows of Southwest Virginia live the Morel Mushroom, which usually come up after the first rain in April, otherwise known at "Dry Land Fish", due mostly to the way you prepare them by pan frying after covering them in flower. They are a once a year delicacy in the area, and people will hunt them up every year. The only problem is that they take quite a few to make a good "mess", but man they were awesome!

Wangan

Reaction score
Ive looked,but I dont believe they live up this far.I know they are real picky where they grow but Im surprised people dont try to raise them.Ive never had them but they sure do sound good.

mainer1

Reaction score
MMMM fiddleheads with a touch of garlic and viniger its that time of the year
We used to fly out of millinockett and fish the memorial day weekend at rainbow lake and we would find them everywhere up there
Trout fiddleheads and cold budweiser what memories

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wangan

Ive looked,but I dont believe they live up this far.I know they are real picky where they grow but Im surprised people dont try to raise them.Ive never had them but they sure do sound good.

Apparently some people are raising them. I noticed that a bag of Organic Morels came up for sale during my google search.

I never knew that there were false Morels out there which are poisonous guess that comes from being taught not to pick those by my Mother, Grand Mother, and uncles who I hunted with as a kid. Most are obvious, but a couple mimic the Morel to a certain degree. I guess if you are interested in hunting them find someone who has been hunting for a long time, or study up on them as much as you can.

They apparently are found all across the country in a certain climate, usually wooded areas that are damp and have a lot of dead leaves cover. Of course you have to have the right conditions to find them growing which is why they usually only show up one time of the year in my area. Mostly during April, and if it's been wet enough early May.

You may want to talk to some of the old timers in the area, if they don't actively hunt maybe they did as a kid. Knowing that the older people rarely know these mushrooms as morels, it might be an idea to take a picture along. That being said if you mention mushroom hunting in the spring around here they usually know what you mean. Heck they may even know a couple of good recipes, and the best places to hunt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75