List of Chero bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

haelix

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: judu

where is tennile, is that in georgia?
Yes its south of HY 20 and north of 16 and not on the way to anywhere and the only thing there is a kaolin mine and a great Mexican restraunt. and the last place in the USA that I can find ST ides special brew mmmmmm

T D

Reaction score
It has always facinated me that Tennille had the Chero plant, not Sandersville, the County Seat of Washington Co. The two town are so close that I guess in the day they both had lots of industry. In case anyone is confused, I live in Washington, Ga., which is in WILKES co. We are known around these parts as Washington-Wilkes, but often get confused with Washington Co. I am about an hour and fifteen minutes from there.

Another quick Georgia Chero story, there are advertisements from Springfield, Ga. (near Savannah) for Chero Cola but there has never been a bottle found. Anybody know more??

JayBeck

Reaction score
The only Chero Cola I have is a twist style from Bellevue, Ohio.

stephengray

Reaction score
Here are some (may be some duplicates here), I have some of these and others I used to have but sold and others found online:

straight sided ones - all have Chero-Cola on shoulder area

Blakely, Ga. the older type with script Chero-Cola that arcs over shoulder clear bimal
Dublin, Ga. with slanted script letters clear bimal
Dublin, Ga. with slanted block letters aqua bimal
Vidalia, Ga. with slanted script letters on shoulder clear bimal
Columbus, Ga. with slanted block letters clear abm (listed already but I put it here for color and abm) also clear bimal
Fort Valley, Ga. with slanted block letters clear abm
Newport News, Va. with slanted block leters aqua abm
Eufaula, Ala. with slanted block letters clear abm
Davis, Okla. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Vicksburg, Miss. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Fitzgerald, Ga. with script slanted letters on shoulder clear bimal
Ocala, Fl. with slanted block letters clear amb
Chattanooga, Tenn. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Jacksonville, Fl. with slanted block letters clear abm
Covington, Ga. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Jackson, Tenn. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Mount Vernon, Ill. with slanted block letters aqua abm
Macon, Ga. with script slanted letters clear bimal
Greenwood, S.C. with block slanted letters aqua abm
Nashville, Tenn. with block slanted letters clear bimal
Memphis, Tenn. with block slanted letters clear abm
Birmingham, Ala. with block slanted letters aqua abm
Cordele, Ga. with block slanted letters aqua abm

art deco type

Quapaw, Okla. with hobnail pattern aqua
Paris, Tx. swirled pattern shoulder and base with embossing in middle clear
Tallahassee, Fl. with hobnail pattern aqua
Shelby, N.C. with hobnail pattern aqua
Wellsville, Ohio with panels around bottle with embossing on shoulder area clear

Jody35150

Reaction score
Here are some to add to the list:

Jasper, Ala. 6 1/2oz
Dora, Ala. 6 1/2oz

Dora, Ala. Soda Water (Chero C.)

Ripley, Tenn. 6 1/2oz

whiskeyman

Reaction score
if you all are serious about making up this list, I'll pin it to the top so it's more easily located...[:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Note: Please read entire commentary before drawing any conclusions, as I am a true-blue Chero Cola fan now, and may even start collecting them. Currently I only have one; a swirl design from 1945. But has no city or state on it. On the base are the numbers ... 4 L G W 5 ... 4 ... 408

We have all heard the expression, "Curiosity Killed The Cat." Well, I'm no cat, but I am curious. And I just hope I don't lose my life for inquiring about the following ... [:)]

Until I signed on to Antique-Bottles.net, I never knew all that much about Chero-Cola. In fact, I was only familiar with the name by running across it occasionally in the various bottle books I have. But there is obviously a great deal of interest for these bottles, especially in the Eastern and Southern parts of the United States where, apparently, Chero Cola had it's beginnings. However, (and this is the part where I risk losing my life), I think we all agree there is nothing particularly special about the labels themselves; and by this I mean, no visually stunning graphics, no cowboys, Indians, airplanes, animals, etc; etc. So it must be something else, something like the Coca Cola "Hobbleskirts," that, for the most part, all look alike except for a few subtle variations and, of course, the neverending variety of cities and states.

So, with all of this said, here is my "curiosity killed the cat" question ...

What exactly is the main attraction for collecting them? Is it the variety of placenames, rareity, value, or something else? (And perhaps all of the above?)

I have already started a collection of California only Hobbleskirts, and may do the same with Chero Cola. But after seeing the partial list of locations already listed, I may be biting off more than I can chew. I might be better off just sticking with the hobbleskirts, (which in itself will take me years to complete with over 200 California variations known).

My inquiry here is not intended to generate dozens of responses, but rather with the hope that maybe just a couple of you will speak on behalf of the majority.

Great thread, by the way. I can't wait to see the complete list.

Sincerely,

SPB

T D

Reaction score
I will not pretend to answer for anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, I could not care less about the acl Chero because I collect the earliest straight side Cheros from Georgia. I do have a painted Chero in my collection because it is from Thomson, Georgia which is 20 miles from me. Also the 1st version of the acl (Chero- Formally Chero Cola) is pretty neat to have.

A couple of other points. If the question why do people collect Cheros is referring to acls, I doubt anybody here collects acl Cheros for any other reason except for local interest (see above), because you are right, there is nothing "special" about the label. The reason they are popular in the south and east is because that's where they all were bottled. The same is pretty much true concerning the embossed bottles- they are usually collected locally. BUT, with the embossed bottles, you get into glass color, bubbles, waves, etc. that many of us love to collect.

As for collecting Cheros from California, I know of none. As far I know, Texas and Oklahoma was as far west as Chero ever went.

By the time there was an acl Chero, Chero Cola as a company no longer existed. It was only sold as a flavor from the Nehi Company. I don't know numbers, but concerning "neverending" towns and states as mentioned, I suspect there are very few town variations of the acl Chero because by the thirtys and forties, it was all but forgotten as a "big time" drink.

T D

Reaction score
I was re-reading this whole thread and understand that it started as an Alabama Chero thread. It seems that the thread turned into two different threads after that, One, a listing of members bottles, and Two, a complete listing of Chero towns.

From the Georgia Crown Top Sodas book, these are the Georgia towns:

Albany, Americus, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Bainbridge, Blakely, Brunswick, Cairo, Camilla, Canton, Carrollton, Cartersville, Columbus, Cordele, Covington, Cuthbert, Dalton, Dawson, Donaldsonville, Douglas, Dublin, Eatonton, Elberton, Fitzgerald, Ft. Valley, Gainesville, Griffin, Hawkinsville, Hogansville, Jackson, Jeffersonville, LaGrange, Louisville, Lumpkin, Macon, Madison, Manchester, Milledgeville, Millen, McCrae, Montezuma, Moultrie, Newnan, Quitman, Rome, Savannah, Sparta, Springfield (no known bottle), Statesboro, Stillmore, Swainsboro, Sylvania, Sylvester, Talbotton, Tennille, Thomaston, Thomasville, Thomson, Tifton, Toccoa, Valdosta, Vidalia, Wadley, Washington, Waycross, Waynesboro, West Point, and Winder. Since the book was published, a Forsyth and a Hazelhurst example has been found.

Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583