Listed a few on eBay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I am finding that as a new seller, people don't want to bid on my items. I am selling off a bunch of stuff I no longer want in my collection if anybody is interested.

epackage

Reaction score
Good luck with your sales Mike, have you done the research on the bottles to make sure the starting prices aren't too high?

MichaelFla

Reaction score
As much as I could find. That Guysotts Sarsaparilla has sold from $110 up to $225. I know the market is fickle so I started low. The hutch bottles are a little more difficult to put a good price on. But the sarsaparilla has had over 30 views and 10 watchers, but nobody's bidding. Is there anything I'm missing?

epackage

Reaction score
I find it's a good starting point at $9.99, a good bottle sells itself. I you use alot of keywords and have a good title and description when listing. When I write my titles I always use NJ, N.J. and New Jersey)or whatever state they're from) along with the county the bottles from. In the description I always add that "People in the following towns might be interested in this bottle...

Aldene
Bayway
Berkeley Heights
Clark
Cranford
Elizabeth*
Elizabethport
Elmora

Fanwood*
Garwood*
Grasselli
Hillside
Kenilworth*
Linden*
Mountainside*
Murray Hill

Netherwood
New Providence*
Oakwood Park
Perth Amboy Junction
Plainfield*
Rahway*
Roselle*
Roselle Park*

Scotch Plains
Springfield
Summit*
Tremley
Tremley Point
Union
Union Square
Westfield

It helps get as many looks as possible I find... Good luck

botlguy

Reaction score
Great advice epackage to a newish seller. I would pay attention, MichaelFla, in fact I have taken notes myself. Also, I believe it's best not to try to get last $ for everything.

My addition is that most bids come in the last few minutes of an eBay auction. Don't get discouraged.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. When those with more experience than I give me hints and clues, I am good about heeding :)

tigue710

Reaction score
time of day and which day you list make a difference also... some days and times more people are on line, like after getting home, slow days of the week... 9:00pm on a Saturday isnt the greatest time to list!

FitSandTic

Reaction score
That is sound advice from epackage and tigue! I always start my bottles at $9.99 and I have always been happy with the end results. If you start a hundred dollar bottle at say $50 you probably will not have any action until the end of the auction. I like starting my bottles low so people have a chance to get in a bidding war. I agree with tigue as well I do not ever recall having any of my items ending on Friday or Saturday. Make sure you take plenty of clear pictures and if your selling colored bottles it is a good practice to take pictures of the bottle in sunlight. Sunlight shows the true color of a bottle. This is only opinion and some may not agree with me but I offer a no hassle refund. When dealing with bottles that have condition issues it is handy. When a customer has concerns about bidding you can always tell them if your not happy send it back.

epackage

Reaction score
These guys are right about the time, if selling a east coast bottle that only appeals to people in this time zone I always try to have it end between 7:00 and 8:00 pm, keeping in mind that the Ebay auctions are on Pacific Standard Time, so end them between 4-5pm on the auction page. HOWEVER, if I'm listing something that has wide appeal and collectibility I have the auction end between 10:00-10:30pm EST so the west coast buyers are home and online...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty