Listed a few on eBay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
See? I never realized there was a science to selling bottles on eBay. This is great stuff!

tigue710

Reaction score
I've actually done studies on the buying habits of bidders on ebay, a low starting bid and good pictures are also very important as before mentioned. When do people have a little free time to browse auctions? After dinner maybe, or right when they get home. Most people are in bed by 10, maybe cruisin on the lap top then too. If they really want something they will make sure they are there at the close of the auction but making it easy for them to do that doesn't hurt either...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
For me a big turn off in an auction is when the seller doesn't describe the condition. Saying a bottle is in 'good shape' means nothing. I want to hear details. A good description is just as important as the photos.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I have absolutely every intention of listing any known damage, and have done so, complete with pictures of the damage circled so it's easy to spot.

I will have to consider time more in my listings. Since I just use the saved search feature and check the emails I am sent each day, I never thought about that before.

The only problem I have with listing a bottle at $9.99 is that I have $12-$15 in a lot of these bottles, and am hoping to at least break even. If I list one I am $15 in and only get one bid at $9.99 then I am just losing money. Not an attractive prospect. Some of them I have bought in lots trying to get one specific bottle, and the rest I don't care about how much they sell for. So there will be some variety in my pricing. I am not interested in really making money, so much as getting rid of them and still having enough to pick up some nice northern Florida bottles.

I have also tried to be as close to actual shipping cost as possible, with the smaller bottles shipping for $6 and the larger shipping for $13. However, I have started listing shipping on the larger bottles at $10 and taking the loss in shipping on those. I am not charging for packing materials, either. At least, not until I can get established. I know that shipping prices have stopped me from bidding on bottles, so am trying to make that as little of an issue as possible.

You guys have been great with the advice and I am definitely going to think about this more before I start listing more.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
one thing I found with selling more common bottles on fleabay is sometimes its better to sell them in groups. Especially if you have ones with similar locations embossed or other similarities. I've been able to sell small lots when I couldn't get bids on the individual bottles. It also saves on the shipping some but you need to pack extra well.
I take the long term approach to selling. I always start low in listings. I might not break even on some items but on average I make a profit. If people don't feel like they have a chance to get a good deal from you then they are less likely to look at your stuff.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
I understand not wanting to list bottles at $9.99 that you have more money invested in. I really do not list bottles on ebay that do not bring at least $50 and I know that are going to have a lot of interest. My father has a girl who lists items for him and he has had success in listing multiple common bottles in one auction as was stated previously. This selling tactic helps create multiple bidders and it always takes two to drive prices. I can tell you in my experience the flea market can be a great place to sell your common items. Fruit jars that would never have any interest to collectors sell great to women who use them as canister sets in their kitchens. There are always closet collectors that will never buy that rare and expensive piece but will buy tons of commons. I have had guys at the flea market drool over my pricier bottles and then turn around and buy 6 or 7 commons for what they could have bought the rarer piece for.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
yep, people at the flea market want to feel like they got a deal and they don't like to go home empty handed.
It makes the $1 table always do well :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology