Local history search

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gromit0299

Reaction score
After finally having some free time (actually, I SHOULD have been out cleaning the garage, but it was freezing, so I granted myself some research time), I hit up our local historical society. Was given a tour of the old house with old memorabilia, including...bottles. Lots and lots of awesome medicines and poisons (we live not far from the now defunct Pennhurst hospital, which was featured on one of those ghost shows, and man, the guy that gave me a tour has lived here his whole life and worked at Pennhurst for 40 years. He was MAAAAAAAAAAAAD at how the show sensationalized and told lies, such is the nature of TV though. Anyway, my point to this long parenthesis was that they compounded a lot of their medicines and there were some of those old bottles *drool*). I was in heaven. They were also nice enough to give me copy of an old map, which will hopefully help me accessing some privy permissions.

I bought a couple of books as well, but I had my daughter with me, so I couldn't pore through old newspaper copies, or anything like that, but it was totally fascinating and I can't wait to go back.

surfaceone

Reaction score
(we live not far from the now defunct Pennhurst hospital...}

Hey Statia,

Have you dug around the old hospital? Looks like they might have had quite the dump. Though the 1908 date is not terribly old, I'd explore the heck outta that place. Nothing like a good State Mental Hospital to get the old heebie-jeebies roiling.

Pennhurst-State-Mental-Hospital2.jpg
From.

pennhurst054-copy.jpg
From.

Gromit0299

Reaction score
Oh GOD. I so SO badly want to head over to Pennhurst, but it's heavily patrolled now, thanks to those pesky teenage vandals. Plus, its been in ruins for awhile. I will probably go over and tresspass, and just deal with the fines, but I haven't had the balls to do it yet. I know that the land is now privately owned, I'd love to get back to the historical society to find out, but they keep odd hours, so I have to hire a sitter so that I can get over there by myself. [:eek:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL