Locoal finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Holindaze

Reaction score
I just did some digging and found a King Cola bottle from Salem Va and also some others. I lot of early Coke bottles, one broken Pepsi, both from Roanoke and four from the Roanoke Bottling and Cider Co, three from the White Spring Co of Roanoke and a few from the Virginia Brewing Company also of Roanoke. There were also a few bottles from out of state but I would like to know how to find information on old local bottling companies that no longer are around. All the bottles are from around 1916.

Holindaze

Reaction score
Sorry about the awful spelling. I cannot post pictures at the moment either.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I would like to know how to find information on old local bottling companies that no longer are around. All the bottles are from around 1916.

Hey Cecil,

In this case you don't have to go far: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-84139/mpage-1/tm.htm#355310 & https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-327400/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#328041

"April 8, 1916
"King-Cola Day" celebrated the opening of a beverage plant; people danced in the streets, enjoyed free food and (of course) free King Cola.
October 31, 1916
Prohibition in Virginia became effective. Merchants in Salem reported that their business increased dramatically thereafter, because more men spent their wages in Salem (which was already a "dry town") instead of traveling to Roanoke to buy whisky." From.

Otherwise, you have to wind up yer googler, and go find some info... "Bottle trail ends in 1914

The Roanoke Bottling and Cider Co. almost wasn't found. A reader had found an old bottle from the company and wanted to know where it had been.

But even Roanoke history guru Twig Gravely didn't know where the company had been located. (He did note, however, that a similar bottle once sold on eBay for $1,500.) Luckily, reader Jim Bush had an envelope with the bottler's address: the corner of Ninth Avenue and Fourth Street. He also has a company bank book. The last entry is from 1914.

So now we know when and where, but I don't guess we'll have many folks who remember how their product tasted." From.

roa2.jpg
"1912 Roanoke VA Pepsi with ROANOKE BOTTLING AND CIDER CO ROANOKE VA on rear side sold on eBay by anthgant for $1,500. Listed as ROA2 in Ayer's Pepsi book." From.

greedy-genius-woodstock-main1.jpg

Holindaze

Reaction score
All the Coke bottles were from Roanoke Va. I found three more today. A history buff told me there were about a dozen or more bottling places in Roanoke at one time, not counting drug or milk bottling operations. But this place is done but I found some great bottles. The best finds today were a Lemon-Kola from Richmond Va and a topless Currie Cola from Roanoke.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960