losing interest. . .any suggestions?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
I have been losing interest in bottle collecting lately, mostly because I only found 1 site that had any bottles, and they all seem to be rubbish. I havent found the first embossed bottle, or even an OLD bottle, and don't really know how to locate other dumps. Another MAJOR issue is that I'm the only person I can find within a 50 mile radius that actively looks for bottles, so there is nobody else to really ask to be my mentor or to go dig with. . .I also get a slight case of "Bottle Envy" when I come on here and find people who find tons of bottles in just a week or so, and lots of them are medicines and bitters and 1800's wine and stuff, its kinda depressing! Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to re-light that fire? Also, does anyone have a good idea of getting rid of some of these glass bottles from the 40's and up without having to trash em? Thanks for any input!

peejrey

Reaction score
Take a whole bunch of your commons out and dig a hole in a field..
Leave it for about a week..and then go dig.....or hit some of the antique stores in the area..
Don't give up hope, watch the history channel for a couple of hours..
Just some suggestions..[:)][;)]

Plumbata

Reaction score
If you reveal your general location, or the towns/counties you would like to look in, several of us here could check google earth and other resources for tips regarding dump locations. I start the vast majority of my new dump scouting by consulting Google Earth satellite images, and, when possible, by also referencing the images to the old maps I have, though this is not entirely necessary.

There are many ways to find clues regarding dumps, even from digitized old print media, so if you want to give some specifics we could probably help point ya in the proper direction.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downsouthdiggers

I have been losing interest in bottle collecting lately, mostly because I only found 1 site that had any bottles, and they all seem to be rubbish. I havent found the first embossed bottle, or even an OLD bottle, and don't really know how to locate other dumps. Another MAJOR issue is that I'm the only person I can find within a 50 mile radius that actively looks for bottles, so there is nobody else to really ask to be my mentor or to go dig with. . .I also get a slight case of "Bottle Envy" when I come on here and find people who find tons of bottles in just a week or so, and lots of them are medicines and bitters and 1800's wine and stuff, its kinda depressing! Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to re-light that fire? Also, does anyone have a good idea of getting rid of some of these glass bottles from the 40's and up without having to trash em? Thanks for any input!

With dumps or privy's,if you want (older) bottles you have to go to older sites.I dig bottles from 1850s,60s,70s,80s,90s, I try and find sites as old as I can but if I can only get 80s and 90s im happy also.
Searching out old dumps can be tough,the oldest dump I ever found was right behind my house at an 1866 house.The dump did not show any sings of glass on top,it had a sunkin hole and a big over grown pile next to it. The hole obviously was the dump. If you go to those huge ash dumps 90% of the time they are all new bottles
When i was a kid we found all kinds of old dumps,but then we had nothing to do but look for them.travel and look that's all we did.We came up with some nice old stuff back then,I guess that is my suggestion to you",travel and look" you can not dig anything older if you stay in the same place your at,so move.
Quit digging bottles???? are you crazyyyy!!! [:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
Me too; It can't be bottles all the time. Are you newer to the bottle hobby? Once you've been at it for awhile, you'll see your efforts pay off. Sometimes, you will be discouraged and find nothing. Even the most prolific diggers on here have their days of "paying dues".

Try to hook up with some others in your area. Check out historic places and ask for permission. Just keep looking! Sometimes, it is nice to just go to a antique shop and find a cool old bottle.

As for the '40's stuff, most of it, unless it's something really special, I would toss.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Being that your name is what it is is it safe to assume you are down South?OK good. There are a lot of Civil War battlefields all over the south that are not part of the National Park system.Go to your local Library try and find where they are and talk to the owners.A lot of them are huge farms.The next thing you can do is align yourself with a General contractor who does excavating for a living.You would be amazed at how much old glass these guys come across.Plumbers are a good source they are always digging around homes.Swimming pool installers remove enormous amounts of dirt.Concrete masons dig quite a bit.Call a local auctineer and ask them to alert you when they are auctioning off bottles from an estate sale most will take your number and will call you.To win them over go to a sale and bid and buy something.Once you are on a buyers list not only will that auctineer alert you others will now also because of the on-line tracking of all of the auction sales.Check back with us next year at this time and you will probably be sorry you over advertised yourself.[:D]Good luck gentlemen.
Steve

Blackglass

Reaction score
I know what you feel, I've been looking for an at least half-decent dump for about 4 years, and still nothing. I'm shure you'll eventually find one, like I probably will. I've been researching and antiquing for those years, and believe me it has paid off. Being the only person you know of in your area that collects, I'm shure if you start looking in antique stores in the area you can get some great deals.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Blackglass, New England is ancient. What city are you near? I forget where Grafton Co. is. Trust me, you will find a good spot to dig, up there.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to re-light that fire? Also, does anyone have a good idea of getting rid of some of these glass bottles from the 40's and up without having to trash em? Thanks for any input!

Hey nathan and billie,

You always write in the first person, yet are registered as two "sanders" boys. You seem to have just begun this bottle quest. It's too soon to abandon the hunt. You don't need no stinkin mentors. Be your own mentor(s).

When I was a kid, I only hunted bottles for target practice. I went from sling shot, to BB's, to .22's. Very satisfying, those certain direct hits, and resultant bottle explosions. I killed hundreds, if not thousands of bottles.

Years and years later, I discovered the joys of bottle digging, and have been slowly digging em up since then. You will become better at it, if you stick to it.

Don't let some random young growth SYP trees deter your hunt. Scour the old areas, walk the water courses. Chat up the old folks. Put an ad in the paper. Change up your game. Take a digging excursion.

Good luck you two...

143674main_nssc_shovels_516.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747