lost @ sea

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scotiavoyager

Reaction score
this plate was hauled off the bottom of the ocean 197 nautical miles off the south east tip of cape race newfoundland. it say furness line on it first thing i thought was titanic we where 70 miles from where it went down anyway when i got back home i looked it up and white star line was the titanic but it makes a great conversion peice! i didn't clean the coral off the plate because i think it looks better with it the coral was purple when first out of the water but it slowly going a pinkesh colour.

Wu59826.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Wu59826.jpg
    Wu59826.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 77

redbrass_ca

Reaction score
Dear Steve

This is a very interesting find. I have a friend a mine who has been specializing in a steamship china project for years from all the stuff we have recovered over the years in the harbour. I can get you a lot of info on the Furness line if you wish. I believe your friends on their NFLD journey might have been close to a wreck site. Your plate could have bee made between 1900 to 1960. The line satrted back in the late 1800 and merge a couple of times to become the Furness Whithy and Co. by the turn of the century. The crest is a blue flag with a banner below. The crest was used during the 20's and 30's when regular sailing were schedule between St John's Halifax, New York in association with the Red Cross line

Ca81568.jpg

Attachments

• Ca81568.jpg
    Ca81568.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 77

redbrass_ca

Reaction score
Steve

To clean your plate and bring it back to its early look days, vinegar ( 35%) and water will work great. You let it soak for a few days

Thierry

scotiavoyager

Reaction score
thank you both for the come back on the plate it was my best tow of the summer i spent in nfld only thing i caught that summer besides scallops no bottles or nothing i guess a big ocean not like the small bays around were we usually fish.. it's nice to talk with people who share the same passion and interest in old things, like who drank that bottle of beer who threw it away how did it get here why somone threw a good plate overboard i say threw because iv'e fished around many wrecks and you aways get more stuff then just one plate anyhow guys take care and i'll talk with you in week or so headed back to sea later ..steve

Lj21939.jpg

Attachments

• Lj21939.jpg
    Lj21939.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 80

redbrass_ca

Reaction score
Dear Steve

This is a beautiful plate. There are not too many that come out of the harbour in that condition. I would be glad to join you in yarmouth this summer. I am told there is a lot of wrecks down that way. We will have to talk about it closer to the times you are down that way. I will try to post some of my china finds when I get a chance to take pictures.
Keep us up to date with your finds , I love to hear about them

all the best

Thierry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960