Low balled

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat
Personally I think they went too high. Maybe it was just the stupid way he setup his listing.[:D]
The New Century Steam is listed as "rare" and is valued up to $100.00. The Somps is valued at $75 dollars and is listed as "scarce". So yep, I'd say they went low.
And what do you attribute the lowness of the bids to? There's not much missed by hutch collectors on ebay.
Just curious there Lobey, what are you basing "your" expert opinion on?

Wilkie

Reaction score

yeah so maybe all the hutch collectors are on vacation. junk is junk
What exactly is your area of experptise there lobey? It obviously isn't western hutches!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Maybe the issue here is whether a bottle has value as an historical rarity or an aesthetic piece?

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

ORIGINAL: appliedlips

I agree, they have the character of a modern Coke bottle.

Snooty back-Easty collectors ...hutches not antique enough for you?[:D]

Only personal opinion, I've seen and dug hutches that are very nice but alot of them don't appeal to me. Besides, I was only agreeing with a Snooty Western collector that wasn't impressed with them.[:D]There is some great early stuff out west with tons of character.

Wilkie

Reaction score

Why did they go so low wilk? show me an example of one selling for 100 so I can go to bed.
Sorry Lobey, I'm all grown up now, I don't have time to play your silly little game. Maybe you should comment on things you actually know something about. You can stay up all night and worry about it if you like, I could care less.

The prices I quoted came from Peck & Audie Markota's book, "California Hutchinson type Soda Bottles. They are well know experts on western hutches and blob tops, and just like every other "value" guide, these prices are subjected to the whims of buyers and sellers. Lordbud thought they went low and decided to let some of us "interested" members know about it. I too think they went low. I for one am sorry I missed them because they would have had a place in my collection if I had seen them.

I personally don't like crown tops, embossed or acl's but atleast I have enough respect for other people to let them talk about them without being critical of them.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Jeez, all this banter over a couple of plaino hutchies? Funny how when a REALLY good item is posted it sits all forlorn with no activity. Hey, we all can't like the same things.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Well at least we got a little discussion going, and everyone learns a bit more about San Francisco bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter