Mary Gregory barber bottles anyone?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I mainly hang out on the fruit jar boards but thought I'd swing by and ask a quick question.

Anyone here collect Mary Gregory type barber bottles?

Thanks, [:D]

Bob

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi marjorie040!

Thanks for the links to check out! That sure is an odd top on that one! The 'tennis player' ones aren't as old as the other types. The ebay link isn't really a Mary Gregory but really called a "Cameo"...not commonly seen with the colored decorations, mainly all white.

Here's a pic of our small mainly Mary Gregory barber bottle collection, (there's a couple plain white enamel Cameos on the bottom shelf) I was hoping to see if there might be someone else that collects these things around here.

ebaybottles.jpeg

Thanks! [:D]

Bob

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hi Bob,
WOW! I'm very impressed with your beautiful collection !!
Hopefully they are all worth the $399-$499 like the ones listed in the above mentioned auction!!
There is also a post on this forum from "Jim" on 7/25/06 with a picture of a freshly dug Mary Gregory this is great!
If you search "Mary Gregory" you'll see it and perhaps you can contact Jim.
Thanks for sharing!!
Marjorie

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi Marjorie,

As with most bottles, these do range signifigantly in prices. These range mainly from about $150 to $300, with the exception of the ones with a scene painted on them (middle shelf, center) which range from about $350 to $750+. And, as with most bottles, if the color is really unusual, those always bring more. And the condition, quality and detail of the enamel work is of utmost importance.

Most of these are from the late 19th century. There are also Czechoslovakian and/or Bohemian Mary Gregory types known, but the child figures are more exaggerated and not as detailed in the workmanship. There were also ones supposedly made in the 40's as were many of the tennis/badminton player ones. Mary Gregory type bottles with flesh colored faces on them are thought to be English.

I don't know nearly as much about these as I do jars...my wife began collecting barber bottles in general when I started going to jar shows. She had a few of the Mary Gregory types and liked them best so when ebay came around, I sold what wasn't Mary Gregory and added whenever we could. As with any collection of anything, always a work in progress! [:D]

And I'm always looking to find out more about them. [8|]

Bob

GreenMtnSam

Reaction score
Bob - What an AWESOME collection! I don't collect the barber bottles, but I used to collect depression glass, mainly black amethyst and Mary Gregory was the "TOP of the line" for me and many others.... Sally....aka ~sam~

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Wow Bob! Very nice and well displayed. My favorite of these would be the odd one in the middle top shelf 'cause it looks different.

bobclay

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone! The display box is very easy to build, I had four of them for my colored jars at an older home. It is just six pieces of stained 1x6 #2 grade pine and a 4x8 sheet of white showerboard supported top and bottom by L brackets into the studs. Cheap and easy! [:D]

Meech, odd you should metion that particular bottle. It is the ONLY barber bottle (of any kind) that I've bought here in my home town and is among my wife's favorites.

I'll post a couple pics of the more uncommon ones here when I get the time.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty