May be a bit odd of a question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
I checked out Thule along with Yakima as well. I've got all the Yakima equipment to mount a roof rack on a factory crossbar system and they've got a few things I can use to mount it over the bed. If anything I managed to stick it into the back of my friend's 1995 S10 with a 5 foot bed. It was small, and probably illegal but I may be able to cram it in the back of this ones. If all else fails, I'll turn to Yakima. If I can get one cheaper I may even buy a trailer for it. Kayak store I go to can get me a base model for under $300...

Jim

Reaction score
Eric just reminded me of something that is VERY important to mention. Northern states like PA, NY and NJ use salts and chemicals for winter road maintenance that are extremely corrosive to vehicle undercarriages. I fix a lot of exhausts, fuel lines, brake lines and parking brake cables that get rusted apart, plus it kills floor pans, cross members, spring hangers and body mounts. These can be a lot of $$$ to fix, and can render an otherwise good vehicle junk if left go too long.

Joe (Joethecrow) had a post a while back about road salt damage on his Ranger.

It's not much fun getting out the hose in the dead of winter and spraying out the underside of your truck, but it IS worth it. Washing off the corrosive chemicals will save you a lot of premature rust problems. I have seen older vehicles that spent their lives in the south, and it is hard to believe how much better they look underneath from not being subjected to road salt. ~Jim

rockbot

Reaction score
1963 corvette.

CBECCC920164403FAC4844AC3890C24D.jpg

Attachments

• CBECCC920164403FAC4844AC3890C24D.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 48

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

1963 corvette.

That thing must be good on gas! [:D]
Check this out,my uncles 1937 Olds gangster mobile.[8D] he has a new 350 Rocket in it.

623B97C7F92141BE98E9E7FBD67BFAFA.jpg

Attachments

• 623B97C7F92141BE98E9E7FBD67BFAFA.jpg
    623B97C7F92141BE98E9E7FBD67BFAFA.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 58

kwalker

Reaction score
The '30s through '60s had some of the most badass cars I've seen in this country. Seems like we had the edge when it came to making some purty lookin cars....at the expense of a little gas mileage [8D] Rick, that is ONE awesome car. the 1920s-1930s is my favorite era for cars when they went through gradual changes into some awesome looking cars later on after the war.

Stardust

Reaction score
What a nice gift and a really nice opportunity for a Dad and a son to get to know each other [;)] It's never to late ~ Like give a baby a puzzle on bigger....maybe he wasn't so great with little kids and now's his chance to really get to know
you ~ I love it ~ Wish you both the best ~

Stardust

Reaction score
Sorry I hope you understood the the above. SOMEONE walked in on me. It was suppose to say, Like give someone like a baby a puzzle on a bigger level. [;)] Much bigger lever. [8D] A way cooler level!!!! I really do think it is nice.[;)]

nydigger

Reaction score
I have a 1995 s-10 blazer with 186,000 on it purrs like a kitten. I usually change my oil every 3k to 5k depending on time, money and the driving I do. I use Valvoline Maxlife oil ( the only high mileage oil that is a synthetic blend) and I substitute a quart of oil for a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. The Lucas sticks to and coats everything. Use a quality oil filter, no they are not all the same, you buy cheap you get cheap. I usually use a FRAM tough guard. I also make sure all my fluids and air pressure in my tires are up to par. Every 6 months I change my air filter or you can get a K&N filter and wash it regularly. Every 3 months I also add a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner, its the only on that I actually noticed a difference in fuel mileage. I did this same routine with an 87 Jeep Cherokee I had for almost six years. I was the second owner and got it in 2002 with 90k on it. When I gave it to my friend it had 280k on it. Oil always came out a lil darker than it went in, same goes for my blazer now. And if you have to bring it to a shop for repairs, always shop around and do your research, if you know what your talkin about less likely you'll get hosed. Also one more thing...most repairs and maintenance you can do yourself... go get a Hayne's manual or a Chiltons guide...and Google It!

kwalker

Reaction score
What would be the best oil to use on high mileage cars? Synthetic or regular? What brand seems to work best?

My dad uses Fram for all of his work and they haven't failed yet. Heck there's some in the woods from the '60s that still have oil in them and are still somewhat orange/yellow...

nydigger

Reaction score
synthetic is best to start when the car is new..under 20k. Use a high mileage oil....Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol high mileage is good

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn