Message in a a bottle ... ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well between SABottles and surfaceone, I found out a little more about one of my questionable bottles. First off the Ebonite threaded stopper. I have a bottle with the same finish and the same stopper.
My bottle is green and made by a "/ N & Co. " "/ 4518 ". My bottle is embossed with a large oval belted outlining border with a belt buckle at the bottom. In the belt is the following, "/ THE ASHTON MINERAL WATER Co. Ltd. ". Inside that is a double arched embossing of
"/ PORTLAND St " over "/ ASHTON-u-LYNE ". I haven't found out much about this bottle anyway. So fill me in if you can.
RED Matthews

Plumbata

Reaction score
Awesome, great find on the bottle and I've always had a soft spot for ephemera. Super score!

Regarding messages in a bottle, a couple friends and I were walking along the Illinois river on a fine Wednesday afternoon earlier this summer; my friend Nick was looking for old bottles and absentmindedly singing the 1979 Police song "Message in a bottle" as he picked up another modern bottle. I looked and immediately exclaimed "Holy s*** that IS a message in a bottle!!!" He didn't notice until I blurted out my astonished observation. So yeah, we found a wine bottle with a message in it, wherein the author disclosed that she was bisexual and the message was signed with a lipstick-kiss. The gal who wrote the message did so on the back of a cell phone bill (dated May 5th this year) so we called her up. Conversation was a bit awkward but she called back and asked if we would like to meet up at a bar later that night. We already had plans to go to "Cams" because a friend and his girlfriend were moving to Florida and we were having a going away party at the bar.

Well... The bar she suggested was Cams, and the reason she was going was that she was a friend of the girlfriend! Frigging incredible coincidence. So we did indeed meet up and overall the whole story was pretty awesomely serendipitous. She and a friend had gotten drunk off of the wine and tossed the message bottle off a bridge about 20 miles north of where we found it. She was pretty cool (quirky, but very pleasant) and provided good conversation. A truly ridiculous chain of coincidence. Sometimes the truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

SAbottles

Reaction score
Indeed, Todd; but then the thread is "unexpected discoveries" and I guess his young lady was an "unexpected discovery" ! (& maybe she was a 'bottle blonde' ?)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles