Metal Detector advice

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
OK, I am looking at buying myself a "low" end metal detector. There is a good company near by that sells them online, so I would probably buy an model that they have. The two models I am looking at are the Garrett Ace 250 and the Fisher F2.

Any guys that know metal detectors, what are the pros/cons of these models, and for someone just starting out who will use it for all sorts of things, what is the best all around model?

Bixel

Reaction score
Well after some research this afternoon, I found that from the company I would order from the Garrett ace is $214.95. They have the Fisher F2 for 199.95, but also have a Fisher F2 package that comes with a pin pointer and 4 inch coil that costs $214.95.

So in my opinion, I am down to two detectors, at the exact same price of $214.95, as I would pay the extra 15 bucks for a pinpointer and 4 inch coil with the F2 package.

Thoughts....?

appliedlips

Reaction score
Kyle, most low end pinpointers are worthless so I wouldnt attach any value to it, I would also say that most low end detectors don't have the power to do much with a small coil. I have used a range of detectors, and they all have good and bad points. I consistently hear good things about the 250 for the price, personally I have never used a Garrett. I had a friend who bought a similar F2 package, had to send the machine back as soon as he got it because of a malfunction, and after getting another, used it less than a week before selling it. The pinpointer was worthless, it had to be touching the target to make a sound. I am a fan of buying used machines, as there are a ton out there that were never used and you get more performance for the money, but it is a chance. If I were going to buy one of the major manufacturers entry level machines new it would be the 250.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I have piddled with a Garretts 250 and it's ok for a beginner. I mean ok only. I do not have any experiance with the Fisher. I have, and use, a top of the line Garretts and a Whites, and they are both great machines. As far as metal detectors are concerned, the old adage "You get what you pay for" truly rings true. Hope this helps, Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I have also had a Minelab. It is a good machine, but much harder to learn how to run. I would not recommend it to a novice. Just my 2 cents.

Bixel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys!

I am going to call and talk to Jeff at Middlesex metal detectors up here in Canada this week and get his opinion. I know many people who have used him, and I have been told he is a straight shooter who wont try to upsell you if you have a budget.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75