Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Well I had to go and look...It looks like a fold of molten glass above the tip of the crecent...It protrudes into the bottle about a quarter of an inch...I can't see clearly below that to tell if the crescent area is thicker too....

06407FFD048744E78368E9AE546ED50D.jpg

Attachments

• 06407FFD048744E78368E9AE546ED50D.jpg
    06407FFD048744E78368E9AE546ED50D.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 83

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am glad to see another thread on this pet subject. I am getting ready for a meeting at Corning Glass to discuss this subject with people that know their bottles. Hopefully we can get the subject resolved.

I have acquired another bottle with the Half-Leaf print of the same form setting vertical on the front panel of a half pint mineral water bottle with embossed lettering in the form of "/ KISSINGEN WATER " arched over "/ HANDBURY SMITH " horizontal below it. On this bottle the repair sets vertical with the straight side on the left - the top point is in between the lower legs of the H in SMITH, and the tip comes up to the crossbar in the H. The curved side is actually on the parting line or even a 1/16" to the right of the parting line of the mold halves. I have checked the inside glass with a wire for feeling and the glass inside surface just hills or humps over the Half-Leaf form. Which I feel was the effect of the difference in heat conductivity in the welded metal. There is also some sign of cavity weld left of the straight side of the Half-Leaf.

As soon as I get my picture set-up together I will get a picture posted here. I just got the missing box yesterday from UPS.

Thanks to you JOETHECROW for the pictures of you ink bottle. Fantastic example.
Does the inside glass just hump over the area if youi feel it with a wire. You may be able to see it with the near clear glass.

Thanks and best regards, RED Matthews - still working at it..

RED Matthews

Reaction score
RE: Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Pinch Mark

WOW!!!! I just went back and read through the whole line of post and comments. I have gotten a few more bottles with this mark on them, but I haven't found two out of the same mold which is no doubt the only way I will resolve this questionable bottle mystery.

I am still confident on the concept of the repair principle. RED Marrhews

GuntherHess

Reaction score

One thing I have wondered about with the mold pinch marks is what happens when the glass gets pinched at the corner of the bottle mold? It seems like the flap would be a bit more triangular shaped? Maybe not since the plastic glass will have a tendency to maintain a spherical form. Has anyone ever seen one of these? The odds are the glass would be pinched at one of the straight sections of the mold so the probability would be much lower.

As for mold repairs , it seems I have noticed more mold repairs on Mason jars than any other bottles. They must have often used those molds until they fell apart.

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well Matt, the source of a punch is usually formed in the neck of the parison, and if the neck is short it can't make a straight side as long as the pinches usually are.
When I worked in the Central Mold Shop at Thatcher's we often had to mill a damaged area in the cavity, and this would usually be done on a vertical milling machine with the head tilted so the end of the cutter would mill a straight line with the escaloped side would be curved. The iron would be filled in using sticks of mold iron rods, the foundry made by using straws for a pattern.
Welding in with an acetylene torch would puddle the iron in the milled cavity. I never saw the half leaf from our work, but one could see the carbon wash out of the surface on the glass. I have no idea of what they had to weld with back in the earlier days of mold making.
In reviewing the pictures in this old string on the subject, there was one with half round horizontal bars that had a half leaf the bars. A pinch of glass wouldn't look like that, if it was in the mold cavity for the final blow.
This next winter I hope to show several pictures of these forms in mu other bottles.
RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: RED Matthews
... but I haven't found two out of the same mold...

The chances of that will make hitting the PowerBall seem like a sure thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960