Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It doesn't explain the clothe like texture inside the half leafs -
Red, I'm not sure but I think it may have to do with the more rapid cooling there than the rest of the bottle. [8|][8|] I know in auto painting a good even temperature means a lot less sanding.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My thought is the pattern you see on some of the pinched leaves is from thermal stress. The pinch has cooled very fast because the large iron mold mass has sucked the heat out of the low mass of the glass flap. In addition there may be some impression from the edge of the mold since that didn't need to be polished as much as the inside.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
I like this thread. a lot of interesting information here! and great images of bottle irregularities. a must read! don't delete!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have a few odd theories about bottle making that I don't think are widely accepted.
I will continue to research and argue them.
So don't give up Red , discussion is good.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Re: RE: Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks

Well all of you bottle people. I now have proven to myself that the half leaf mark is from a glass parison pinch that was created in the initial mold closing and then dropped into the mold on the second closing. The thing that gave me the initial feeling was the cloth like surface of the glass inside the half leaf form. This is common on the surfaces of casting weld repairs, where the carbon particles washed out by the hot glass. I am sorry and stand corrected. I will try to get the write up removed from the postijgs. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well all of you; I am now convinced of the fact that these marks are from a pinch of glass from the parison being closed in the mold and dropped into the final blow mold, with the final blow picking up the product of a pinch. I really thought the cloth looking characteristic of the surface was from the washed out carbon from the weld made by the use of sticks of mold iron made by the mold iron foundries. We used to get these sticks from Kelley Foundry in Elkins,West VA.. They made them for us - using drinking straws for a patten and casting their #4 mold iron for the welding rods. This was changed to a welding rod I bought from the Universal Teifpunkt Company in Germany for welding in the mold cavities. We did that a few years and then went to the spray-welding of powder alloys to make the repairs. I had seen a lot of texture changes in the welding areas - that had me convinced the half leaf was the result of milling our a nick and welding it in. Now I have two samples that I am convinced are from picked up pinches. I have trouble with the samples I have seen where the pinch was deep in some mold cavity ribs - but I have to concede that the pinch kept the glass out of the ribs. So I plan on removing that section in my homepage and it would be nearly impossible to remove all of this flack from the years of kicking it around in the Forum. Sorry I took the stand when I did; but what was done is in the past now. RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score

Mr. Red, there's not a one of us in this bunch that hasn't made a mistake before. The real sign of true character is when an individual is man enough to admit his error. Precisely why pride is considered a sin, and humility a virtue.

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Hello again. "Wow" is the only word for the complexity and extent of this thread. I sure rattled a lot of people - and all I can do is to be humbled by my concept exertion reasoning. It is a long spread of reaction showing how everyone's common sense can carry a mistake on in discussion. It is humbling - but it really was the correct reaction that everyone took. I am sorry for all the space the trip caused - but at least we have seen some good illustrations of bottles with the pinch still on the glass. I would love to have one of those example bottles, but at my old age of 84 - I need it like I need a hold in my head. My latest twist is to learn more about the glass bottles that were blown in thin steel jackets where the glass was puffed out on the bottle side walls - protruding out of triangular vertical triangular holes in the metal. When I get some pictures taken of the six or seven examples I have - maybe some one can tell me how it was done without having cracks in the glass.It still is the best hobby I could of had ( for over 76 years now!!! RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score

Well I haven't studied the dates of these post - but I already ate crow and told everyone that I realized now that they are from a pinch off the parison caught in the initial mold closing. I even got to evaluate a good example. RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score

You still the man, Mr. Red! You're like the patriarch of this forum, and we all love you. Merry Christmas!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75