Mold Cavity Half-Leaf Repair Marks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
The picture as take from viewing the bottle base.

9F4BC1777E2F4EB094E1D17E9D57EE99.jpg

Attachments

• 9F4BC1777E2F4EB094E1D17E9D57EE99.jpg
    9F4BC1777E2F4EB094E1D17E9D57EE99.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 92

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all
I by no mean have any great knowledge into glass making .I believe that most of these vertical flaws were in fact pinched flap that were opened turned a then continued to be blown as evidence seems to point to that .I also believe that some are due to mold repairs or even tooled repairs .As in the flaw I posted a pic of . I was having lighting problems due to batters last night .So heres another pic as you can see this repair, flaw is horizontal not vertical as most.It bulges out on the outside and inside too. So I believe this could have been from a mold repair or a tooled repair . What yall think .I love this fourm and the info that people share here .Thanks and as allway good luck to you all.
bill

5648D6FB998B4E9396AF553CFA737C3F.jpg

Attachments

• 5648D6FB998B4E9396AF553CFA737C3F.jpg
    5648D6FB998B4E9396AF553CFA737C3F.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 90

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Great Theories again Chris. One thing I noticed from most of the pics is that the flaw is mostly located toward the bottom of the bottle. I think that helps support your idea of the angle being skewed when inserted. We may never know for sure, but again, I like your reasoning.
Bill

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi and Fantastic justanolddigger; I went to look at it and it is exactly what we have been kicking around. The Half-Leaf has the mottled cloth texture look that comes from the hot glass eroding the broken down graphite in the welded metal surface.
I thank you for your alert finding. How did you find it???? Thanks, for sure.
RED Matthews.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Pure Luck mostly. I actually have you to thank for seeing it Red, I wouldn't have even known what I was looking at if it hadn't been for you bringing up this excellent topic. I just happened to read the "questions asked" and they were discussing an "open bubble", so I looked at the pic and saw it. Talk about ironic! I look forward to more of your insight on early glass blowing, extremely fascinating and enlighteniing.
Bill

baltbottles

Reaction score
Dollarbill,

The error on your bottle is something totally different then the type of blowing error we have been discussing. These types of errors seem to only be found on earlier bottles. Not ones as late as yours. I'd have to see the bottle in person to get a better idea how your error was created.

Also I think I have come up with an experiment to try and produce the same effect that is seen in these blowing errors. The materials involved are different but the process will be similar. I don’t have access to a kiln and cast iron hinged molds to blow my own glass. But have an idea for something.

Chris

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Chris
Yea I figure it was different because its horizontal and between the mold lines in the lower center of bottle. And I understand the type of flaw you were explaining .Just thought I would throw this one out there as its still kinda got that D or half leaf shape ya know and thought it may represent an actual mold repair.Thanks for your response and I look forward to hear how your experiment turns out .
bill

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all you thread weavers you, I am going to the dentist Tuesday and I plan on taking one of my bottles to see if he can take a picture inside the bottle behind the inside of the bottle in back of the welded half-leaf. Just for the heck of it.
I am sure that the cavity is flat inside, I have put a wire in there and couldn't feel any inside surface material. I am still very confident in my analysis, but we just don't have anyone to ask about how they repaired nicks in mold cavities back then. That type of information just wasn't important enough to write it down.
REDMatthews

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles