$money$

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnN

Reaction score
The only bottles I have found that might be worth anything are a Pabst, like this one: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/________FOOFY________/m-465440/tm.htm and an Edward Maher beer/soda bottle from Freehold, NJ. This one, to be exact: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Edward-Maher-Freehold-NJ/m-443368/tm.htm But I am not interested in the money, I am interested in the history. In fact, I had someone ask if the Maher one was for sale, but I am not willing to sell any bottles. If I did, it would feel like selling a little piece of me, and the history of this area.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

ORIGINAL: Oldihtractor

It's all about the money $$$$ don't let anyone tell you diffrent!!

I guess for most people $$$$ is all that matters. I like to think there are a few people out there that think otherwise but maybe I'm kidding myself.

On another note,

A fellow forum member offered me a bottle at a great price considering he just sold one at auction for twice that price. So its good to know some people
value friendship or just wanting to make someone happy!

I HEAR YOU ROCK. If I was only it for the money I would have sold this four years ago [8D] Hahahahahahahah!! hahahahahah dont let um fool ya Rocky[:D]

6BD91EE26EA946E484DD54A8192273F7.jpg

Attachments

• 6BD91EE26EA946E484DD54A8192273F7.jpg
    6BD91EE26EA946E484DD54A8192273F7.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 60

lexdigger

Reaction score
What I find valuable is not always worth the most money. I have bottles I would never sell at any price because they mean too much to me. To others, they look like any other Local or Common, but to me they are keepsakes from landmarks in my digging journey.
On the other hand, I dug a diamond and lattice Poison and got REALLY bummed out that it wasn't Cobalt. Had always wanted to dig one of those cobalt Poison bottles and my first one was crappy old brown. Turned it was the Most rare color out of four, with Cobalt being the most Common! LOL It was two days later before I realized it was the MOST valuable bottle I had dug at that point. Could not imagine it sitting anywhere other than where it is now... in one of the largest American Poison collections in the U.S. Just couldn't imagine it sitting in my curio with all my dirty old locals.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Chris,

Did they make the poison stoppers for the lattice poisons in any other colors besides cobalt? I don't think I remember ever seeing a stopper in any other color. Just curious. I bet your amber one was off the charts!

~Tim

lexdigger

Reaction score
As far as I know, the Cobalt is the only one with the fancy stopper. I was told the other colors came corked.
Mine was light amber, blown in a mold with a tooled top. WT&Co on base. Was very clean with only a few surface scratches and some light stain. Came out of a cistern full of amber cokes and other TOC stuff.

81C54552439844DD98435D7D9AB7899D.jpg

Attachments

• 81C54552439844DD98435D7D9AB7899D.jpg
    81C54552439844DD98435D7D9AB7899D.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 56

bottlekid76

Reaction score
That's really nice. I wondered if the stoppers were in cobalt only. Nice photo!

~Tim

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Anna !
Great to hear from you again. I'm Bram, the guy who gave the "bottle talk" at your historical society meeting back a few years ago. Can't believe you're 15 now. I still have that Essex commemorative pitcher you guys gave me for the talk. I was thinking about scuba diving in that river where you find your bottles in the mud, maybe I'll come down and check it out some time.

Do you still have that milk bottle you got? I remember it was a real old one with a cool name on it, like Elroy something. Talking "money" value on bottles can be a touchy subject sometimes on the forum. But at 12 years old, we definitely cut you some slack :] Now that you're 15 though.... lol

Your milk bottle might be valuable, you never know. I dig or dive for some old milk bottles, and I think they are rare, then I try to sell them on Ebay and I get $5 for them. This spring I got one though, from Marthas Vineyard, and I sold it on Ebay for $325 !! So you just never know, stuff is worth what someone will pay for it I guess. I've dug a couple of bottles "worth" $1000 or so, and a few worth in the hundreds, but mostly they are worth less than that, and you'd have to dig and sell a LOT of bottles before you could pay the rent.

But it's a natural question, and virtually everyone that learns about my hobby asks me the same question. I will say that when I get obsessed with finding the most valuable bottle, I wind up frustrated. When I just dig for the fun of the hunt, that's when I have the most fun.

I started digging when I was 12. I sort of drifted out of the hobby when I was in high school cause there are just so many other things going on, so don't feel bad. But I remember when I was in college, I was having a lousy day, and I remember that I just decided to head in to the woods one day and go bottle digging " just like the old days". I found one of the best dumps I've ever found, and since that day, I've been hooked again. so maybe that will happen to you too :) Regardless, it's nice to hear from you. You and your family are great folks, say hi to your parents for me and the people at the historical society. If they see someone flopping around in the muddy river in a scuba suit, tell them it's just me looking for bottles. Maybe an Elroy milk bottle.

take care !

Brains

Reaction score
I... happen to love money, it's very important to me. Earlier today i had money, and i was quite excited about it- as the week goes on i will have significantly less money as wasting money is just as important to me as having it. The result is I'm often discontent with my money situation.

Anyways, the most valuable bottle i've ever had (and SOLD, MUHAHAHAHAH!)was a P. Shille (you'l have to forgive me as i'm not entirely sure as to how to spell the, "shille"... perhaps it's shillie...) squat soda that had "ottowa beer" written on the side opposite the "P. Shille Columbus Ohio". That bottle earned me the vast sum of $40 and a rather nice (though entirely worthless) insulator. About half of that $40 was spent on gas the next day. The other half was spent on gas some time the following week.

Bottles never earned me my fortune. My vast 100's came from selling insulators. I once sold an insulator for $350 (woah) which was spent entirely on gas and a 1942 mosin nagant. I then sold one for $450 after having it for all of somewhere around 3 days. That money was spent on gas and bullets... for a 1942 mosin nagant.
Ever had someone hand you money and say, "Don't spend it all in one place?" I Never have...

I would say, though, my most valuable insulator is (as far as i know) the only reported orange amber Hemingray D-513... but the price guide will tell you that's it's not that valuable as whoever made up the price guide also made up the price.

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Brains

I... happen to love money, it's very important to me.  Earlier today i had money, and i was quite excited about it- as the week goes on i will have significantly less money as wasting money is just as important to me as having it.  The result is I'm often discontent with my money situation.

Anyways, the most valuable bottle i've ever had (and SOLD, MUHAHAHAHAH!)was a P. Shille (you'l have to forgive me as i'm not entirely sure as to how to spell the, "shille"... perhaps it's shillie...) squat soda that had "ottowa beer" written on the side opposite the "P. Shille Columbus Ohio".  That bottle earned me the vast sum of $40 and a rather nice (though entirely worthless) insulator.  About half of that $40 was spent on gas the next day.  The other half was spent on gas some time the following week.

Bottles never earned me my fortune.  My vast 100's came from selling insulators.  I once sold an insulator for $350 (woah) which was spent entirely on gas and a 1942 mosin nagant.  I then sold one for $450 after having it for all of somewhere around 3 days.  That money was spent on gas and bullets... for a 1942 mosin nagant. 
Ever had someone hand you money and say, "Don't spend it all in one place?" I Never have...

I would say, though, my most valuable insulator is (as far as i know) the only reported orange amber Hemingray D-513... but the price guide will tell you that's it's not that valuable as whoever made up the price guide also made up the price.

This has got to be the funniest read I've had in some time. I guess if it wasn't so true that is![:D]

VTdigger

Reaction score
It's hard to say what bottles the most valuable price wise probably $45-50. But it's never about values to me, I've dug some local bottles and other cool bottles that where a landmark in my digging history that I'd never sell or trade for anything. Each bottle that I decide to save, I save it for a reason.

Before I got into digging I wasn't passionate at all about The town I live in and the surrounding area, there was just nothing to it for me, until I start finding small peaces of the towns past, when it like many other towns accross the USA where growing and thriving. To me the most valuable thing of all is the thrill of the hunt and thing things you learn about history along the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers