Mug handle indent?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cubby01

Reaction score
Not sure where to ask this but I'm sure someone here will know the answer....

I have this old beer mug. Not sure how old but I'm pretty sure it's old enough to be called old. Anyway at the top of the handle it's got indents molded into the sides of the handle, it's also got a bit of a hole at the top of the handle. Got to be there for some reason. Can anyone tell me the porpose of forming the handle that way?

My uneducated guess is it was to take a hinged lid - Whatever it is I'm hoping the feature will help lead me to a maker and date.

img1323qa.jpg

img1324k.jpg

img1326s.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I'd say lidded as well, at one time......Jim

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Buck,

Welcome to A-BN. Nice photos, sir.

Unless I miss my guess, this mighta been a jelly jar when it was young. There's this one 4 sale at that electronic auction place. Not as nice as yours, but you get the idea.

The handle "dot" looks like it might be a mould vent.

070e9cee8f2830f06a7a9fc8b90aa4ba.jpg

cubby01

Reaction score
Thanks Both,
Pretty sure now it's for a hinged lid like a tankard top.

Surfaceone, Thanks for the photo complement. I don't think it's a jelly jar but will keep that in mind. It's heavier than it looks, the bottom is recessed like an old saloon beer mug or a root beer mug you used to get at at soda shops.

By the way, I was really puzzled by the Andrews Sisters photo, until I looked a few of your other post and see there is a musician theme going there. At least I think it's the Andrews Sisters, one was later blonde I think.

Just for grins, here's a pic of the bottom of the mug showing wear...and inconsistent photo skills. [:)]
img1328l.jpg

Wangan

Reaction score
I have a small 9 sided German beer mug with the same indents on the side,but without the hole in the top of the handle.I always thought they were to hang it on a cup holder or something.This mug did not come with a top.It was given to my father by a fellow serviceman who got a whole set of them from Germany.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday