My 1st HUTCHINSON

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
Well, I had to trade a Gilkerson's Jersey Dairy from Joliet, IL to get it, but here it is. A nice addition to the Chicago family slowly increasing in my home. The flash in the pictures make it look severely damaged but that is just the bubbles in the glass. The closing device is actually rusted into the glass in the neck. I would kind of like to know if that was a good deal or not because the collector of Joliet Dairies kind of said yes to the trade a little too quick for comfert. Thanks for any comments.

FRONT
002-12.jpg

BACK
003-11.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Nice and congrats, that's alot of embossing....Jim

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I would kind of like to know if that was a good deal

If you like the hutch then it was a good deal. There doesnt always need to be a 1 for 1 value exchange in a trade.
Its just important that both people go away happy.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Congrats on your first hutch! Its hard to say whether or not you got a good deal without knowing the specifics of the bottles involved. Both milks and hutches can be rare or common, valuable or affordible. I can tell you that there were so many hutches produced in Chicago that they are generally not considered super rare. However, there are many rare examples from Chicago. The embossing is neat. You like it. So, for you, it was a probably good trade. You definately got an older bottle in the deal as well. Congrats again.

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
Thanks, this bottle was actually posted on here in 2005. I just know hat Joliet bottles are harder to find and right away there were several results for this bottle and not one for the Dairy. It just kind of scares me I just traded away my rarest bottle, but I'm still happy with it.[:)]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice first hutch!

As a fellow Illinois collector, I have seen quite a few of these Consolidated Bottling Co. hutches over the years. I think I have 2, one dug and another obtained in my grade-school days. They are common bottles but very appealing so if you like it, then fair enough. Joliet milks have a rather large following and that bottle was probably a bit better than the hutch, but what's done is done. In the future just remember that "Chicago" bottles are typically common, and if not common the demand really isn't present like it would be for comparable bottles from smaller cities or towns, so be suspicious of such trades in the future.

If you have an active interest in bottles from Illinois or Chicago, let me know because I have plenty which could use a caring home.

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I would imagine that smaller cities would be more uncommon, but I just like Chicago for some reason. Probably all the rich history involved with it...[8|] I would love to trade with fellow collectors on here, but, if it hasn't been noticable in the past, I am pretty young, so it most likely would not be able to happen. [:(][:(] I do not wish to disclose any personal information as well like location or true age, so I am sorry.

namzug2

Reaction score
Nice strike on embossing of your newest bottle. If your happy with it Good deal.

Graphyfotoz

Reaction score
Niiiiice!
I scored my 1st also this past weekend at a local show/sale for $9.
Real nice and clean with remnants of metal hoop stopper still in neck.
No case wear and very minimal staining!
Mine is embossed:
Chas E Tippet
Chester PA

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
a mint consolidated would be really cool because their is so much embossing it makes case wear very common. yours is in pretty good condition. i have a couple of those but with much more case wear. ive got a few hutches for trade and or little cash if you want me to post them.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR