my balls are two different sizes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jerseybones

Reaction score
Nice balls Matt! er you know what I mean. If they are associated with a particular battle then yes they are worth a few $$$ you really need to do reverse electrolisis on them to preserve them or they may just flake away to nothing or split right in half. If they were in damp or wet ground then best to keep them in water. Just look up metal artifact conservation techniques online for an explanation of the method, its really simple. have done it on iron artifacts from diving. nice finds! Ken

GuntherHess

Reaction score
They look like they were wood/paper fused. First thing I would do is make sure they dont have powder in them. Black power can still be nasty in Civil War items. If they are solid shot you are ok.
If they are Federal they would have to be early war since the union went to rifled guns pretty fast. When I see round balls I usually think Confederate (or pre-war).

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
WHOA WHOA WHOA.....EVEN THO IM FROM PHILLY? WHATS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? [>:]

Thanks for the input everyone! I hope i can reverse these balls.

And cap...as for the "jewlrey", i already have a prince albert [;)].

syke naw...i really dont hope hope google that.

Jerseybones...how can i find a listing of battles in certain areas in PA? How much are they worth without giving them history?

Matt W.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
wow...precivil war? revolutionary war crossed my mind, but only for a minute...

thats great!

capsoda

Reaction score
Gettysburg and Hanover I beleave are the only two you will find any info on.

History doesn't like to remember what us southern boys fondly know as First Gettysburg.

The Confederate army scared them por yankee boys so bad the ran for to days. It was a rout but the dummies in charge weren't prepared so they withdrew and lost the war. Ahhhh the shame.

There were probably scurmishes all around those areas and hold over training camp all over the state.

Be proud of them big ball.[:)]

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
lets see...Lee had 75 thousand men! Whoa!

but uh...im pretty sure the 97,000 soldiers under the command of Meade had the upper hand. especially since they WERE IN THE NORTH.

General Lee - "Um duhhh, i wanna blow up a bridge in Harrisburg...ummm duhhh, yeee haw."

[:D]

Lee was a great general...and no disrespect to him. Just a wrong move on his behalf.

capsoda

Reaction score
Yea I know. It seams like Lee made alot of wrong moves. He was known as a great general because he lasted as long as he did.

But them boys sure could yell.[:)]

Mihai

Reaction score
If these are your balls I wouldn't like to see your cannon. I'm still confident in my arthefacts and this will blow it, sorry madam, away.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Sorry Matt, just a little joke because I am a Pittsburgh fan. I would defiantly hang on to those balls though because if you clean them right they could be worth something. I would recommend electrolysis for taking the rust off. That process is pretty easy to do and has amazing results that won’t damage your precious balls. Here is a website that has all the info you need on it.

Rust Removal Using Electrolysis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday