My entire Ellicott City,MD bottle collection so far

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MDdigger

Reaction score
Hello Henry,

I have an Ellicott City milk for sale if you are interested. One pint, Rockland Dairy-Chas. E. Hobson- Ellicott City, MD., in a circular slug plate. I will be selling at the Baltimore show Suday, but don't know my table number. I am listed as an assistant under Ken Tighe's name. You can email if you like and I can give you my cell number. Let me know if you want to see it and I'll hold it for you. Hope to see you at the show.

Dodd

waskey

Reaction score
Been a while since I have added any local bottles so I was wondering if anyone has any Ellicott City bottles for sale or trade. Thanks~henry

waskey

Reaction score
Added a nice new local milk to the collection as a birthday present from my dad. The bottle is Rockland Dairy/ C.E. Hobson/ Ellicott City, MD. There are about 10 or so different variations of this bottle that I know of. They were very successful but almost all of their bottles are broken in local dumps which makes all the variations very valuable. From the bottles I have found from this dairy, it appears they were in business from 1930-1936. This specific bottle was made by the Thatcher Glass Co. and the date is 1936. A very interesting fact about this bottle is that the Rockland bottles were made only by the Buck Glass. Co. of Baltimore and the Thatcher glass Co. and all the Buck Rockland bottles have the name Chas E. Hobson in the center but all the Rockland bottles made by Thather have the name C.E. Hobson; im not sure why, I think it may have to do with the size of the letters that were used by Thatcher glass and maybe they couldn't fit the word Chas. so they had to use his initials instead. If anyone knows more let me know here is a picture of the new milk.

ED16AB2C020D41D0B599BC7BDDECE961.jpg

Attachments

• ED16AB2C020D41D0B599BC7BDDECE961.jpg
    ED16AB2C020D41D0B599BC7BDDECE961.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 63

waskey

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a Rockland Dairy bottle made by Buck Glass Co. of Baltimore with the full name Chas. E. Hobson in the plate rather than the initials C.E. Hobson.

DFB810023C134118A674B7C83DF5C5D0.jpg

Attachments

• DFB810023C134118A674B7C83DF5C5D0.jpg
    DFB810023C134118A674B7C83DF5C5D0.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 59

waskey

Reaction score
Thanks Marc, the problem is im running out of local dumps so getting local bottles has been slow lately. I need to go out and look for more dumps or privies.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Any chance there would be nearby dumps in nearby small towns? They might produce a few Ellicott City bottles...and if there's an abandoned railroad right of way running through your area, wherever there was a RR bridge over a creek/river is another possibility. There was a Southern Pacific Railroad dump in San Jose that produced some very nice local bottles that hailed from various cities along the passenger line, and many of the bottles weren't from San Jose but from small towns up the peninsula.

waskey

Reaction score
Thanks for looking, im planning on doing some digging in some surrounding towns as well. I also need to start probing out some privies around, theres bound to be some good bottles in them; ive been told that all bottles from Ellicott City are very desirable and even some of the more common ones are worth atleast $10. And there reallya ren't very many common ones from here.

waskey

Reaction score
Havent added too much local stuff lately besides digging up the small common ACL Patapsco Pharmact bottles from EC so here is a nice local milk I got off ebay for a good fair price. Its not damaged in anyway but its really hazy and completely covered in casware; almost like someone rubbed it up against a rock or something to give it this look. Its a nice rare local that I needed though so im happy with it. I also found some unexpected info on the owner Charles. E. Hobson. The other day my younger sister walked in after a bike ride and told me she saw a gravestone in the local cemetary(in my neighborhood) with the name Hobson and she guessed it could be him since she didn't get a close look at the gravestone. We rode up there later and she was right the gravestone was a large gravestone which read HOBSON in big letters in the middle and on the left had Mary T. (I forger the years she lived) and on the right side it had Charles E. (1905-1963). I didn't even know it but one of our very local dairy farmers is actually buried in my neighborhood; pretty cool. Anyway this is the new Rockland Dairy milk I got with Hobson's name on it.

565EE473157146C2B67C1DC198181584.jpg

Attachments

• 565EE473157146C2B67C1DC198181584.jpg
    565EE473157146C2B67C1DC198181584.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter