My FIRST Bottle Pit

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
After probing and digging, probing and digging, probing and digging, I finally found a bottle pit on my parents' property.......and not even by probing! I was metal detecting and came across something, so I started digging. I uncovered a small piece of brass, and TONS of broken glass. Broken glass is always an incidental finding when I dig ANYWHERE in their yard, but this was a too much glass to be incidental, so I kept digging. It wasn't long until dark, and this is what I uncovered the first day - the brass that set my detector off, and a Belfast round bottom ginger ale.

bottles037.jpg

I called it a night, and came back the next morning with my husband, the muscle. He is usually my unwilling accomplice, but in this case, he dived right in. [:D]

bottlepit004.jpg

My dog Turtle was dig supervisor.

bottlepit011.jpg

We pulled out 3 5-gallon buckets of broken glass, and about 23 intact bottles by the time we were done. Most were unmarked wine and mineral waters, but we also found another Belfast round bottom and 2 Conrad's Original Budweisers. The tiniest bottle find of the dig was this cute little medicine bottle.

bottlepit018.jpg

Most of our finds:

bottlepit019.jpg

The best finds of the second day:

bottlepit001.jpg

A closer look at one of the Budweisers:

bottlepit002.jpg

I am so happy to have finally experienced a bottle pit dig. I've been pulling bottles out of the St Johns River for years, so this was totally new to me. I will continue to study the property and dig, dig, dig! Below is an old aerial view of how the area used to look. My parents' property is outlined in red, and the blue X is approximately where I found the pit.

aerialhibernia1.jpg

Happy Digging!!

epackage

Reaction score
Great stuff, and how can you go wrong with a dog named Turtle!! [;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
bottlepit004.jpg

Congratulations, Gabrielle,

Was that a cistern? Did'ya get it all?

I admire those Conrad's.

5596246626_15a03eea6e_o.jpg

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Not sure what it was. It was right next to a big stump. The tree may have not even been there back when they were doing their dumping. And yes, I believe we got it all. All the bottles were between 1 and 3 feet deep. There were also bricks, rusted tin cans, and a few large bones in the hole.

luckiest

Reaction score
Very nice beers! I would be happy with that! What's the medicine bottle? Is it a local?

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
No clue about the medicines. None of them had any kind of embossing on them to help me research them. I am happy about the Buds though! :) We also found a broken Bud in the pit, and a couple months ago I found a broken Bud in the river. I'm crossing my fingers that there are more in the ground for me to find!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib