My first complete Iron Pontil, and a dandy to boot!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well, before I went digging today I told my gal that I would find something awesome, perhaps something that would help pay the incessant bills.

I had no idea that my casual statement would actually come true.

I went out, scratched for less than 3 minutes, and out popped something that I knew was special. I actually smacked one of the panels with my modified hoe. Thank god I didn't break the thing! I felt each of the 6 panels, and much to my surprise i felt embossing! I rubbed the dirt off the base, and felt something even more uncommon considering my experience; a pontil! [:)]

It came out of a post-TOC layer, but it is a good 45-55 years older. The wear on the base indicates that it saw plenty of use, so it must have been a VERY late throw, tossed after it served whatever final purpose it had. The only stuff around it was china, no other complete bottles, just a newer broken Ponds' Extract and some crappy slicks. After finding what I knew was a good one, I packed up and left, knowing that I wouldnt find anything else nearly as good even if I stayed 20 hours on top of the 10 minutes it took to pack up and take off.

It is 9 inches tall, a light emerald or lime-green, and it has no chips or cracks, just a little conchoidal divot in the base which detracts almost nothing from this fine specimen (at about 10:30 in the last image, the other protuberances are intentional mold alterations). It has a rolled lip and is about as fine a specimen of pontiled glass that i could expect to find in a town that hardly even existed in the 1850s

It is embossed "E.H.V.B. N.Y." and, as stated, has an iron pontil (that is very well preserved).

9217_935915101490_1937295_53022991_7161565_n.jpg

9217_935915111470_1937295_53022993_3979398_n.jpg

9217_935915091510_1937295_53022989_4849560_n.jpg

9217_935915131430_1937295_53022997_3146630_n.jpg

Well, here is where the questions come into the scene. How old is it, what do you know about the company, and is it desirable as far as embossed and colored pickles go? I am a noob and know nothing about it, so any and all info is much appreciated.

Take care and good luck digging y'all! If this can be had in TOC dumps in the midwest, then such things can be had anywhere, so go get 'em people! [:)]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Uhh, I just checked Kovels:

Category Bottle
Pattern or Item
Pickle
Description
E.h.v.b., N.y., Emerald Green, Applied Top, Ip, 8 3/4 In.
Year
Price $4840.00

I imagine that it is one and the same bottle, aside from this being 1/4th of an inch taller and having a rolled lip. I know that kovels prices are often totally wrong, but... uhh... erm...

Did I just hit a jackpot, or is what i have a common variant?

rockbot

Reaction score
I just had to look at it again. Love the design and coloration. what is the height?

Rocky

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Omg Plumby...What a pickle.. Im not even talking about the jar...

ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Well, before I went digging today I told my gal that I would find something awesome, perhaps something that would help pay the incessant bills.

You didnt just dig a pickle...Your in a pickle how are you gonna tell her your keeping it? [;)]

Honestly Its beautiful. And id say its a grand slam

http://www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com/webpages/Item5106.html

cadburys

Reaction score
Nice find stephen!

WOW.. I'd be inclined to agree with you on the Kovel's comment... but you never know!
I'd expect that a nice tumble and ship it off to the next AB&GC auction would help pay those bills. If you drop an email to Jim H at AB&GC he would have a pretty good Idea of the value regardless if you decided to sell it or not.

Good job... it feels nice when all of those hours slogging over broken glass finally pays off.

Ant

privvydigger

Reaction score
Oh i could feel the rays from my st john's vacation when it starts snowing....to come back and watch my big screen t.v......with no bills......then again....sitting on the shelf and admiring for a few good mornings wouldn't be bad either....
nice

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Wow, what a nice find! I'd be smilin' a looong time after that one!!!

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
Stephen -

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Everything about it is spectacular - pulling something like that from the ground is a dream come true!

I'd have to go back and dig the whole area too! Just in case!

Don't forget to say those "magic words" before you do! [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause