My first ever privy dig!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
E3259CFD578A4227888259A46F647D36.jpg

Hey Statia,

Congratulations on what looked to be an epic digarama, as your first venture into privy digging. Pretty good crew you aligned with, eh!

So come on, tell us all about it from the never before experienced standpoint, please. Did'ya get all muddy? Did they make ya do a lotta schleping? How'd you like first time in the hole?

353660280-22065127.JPG

Gromit0299

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

E3259CFD578A4227888259A46F647D36.jpg

Hey Statia,

Congratulations on what looked to be an epic digarama, as your first venture into privy digging. Pretty good crew you aligned with, eh!

So come on, tell us all about it from the never before experienced standpoint, please. Did'ya get all muddy? Did they make ya do a lotta schleping? How'd you like first time in the hole?

353660280-22065127.JPG

Sadly, I didn't take many pictures. I was so busy being involved in the whole digging process, but I did post about it under the digging and finding thread. Chris was pretty sneaky. He got so many pictures and I hardly ever saw him with his camera. [;)] But yeah, I was pretty dirted up when I got home. It was awesome. No muck holes, but I'm definitely investing in some waders or something. I don't care about getting dirty, but in the winter, I think I want to stay dry. Haha.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: carobran

I havent done any digging,theres just something about being 10 feet down in a hole that doesnt appeal to me[:eek:][&:].......Lord knows it would be scary with RICKJJ at the top[:eek:][:eek:][8|][;)]

You better believe it kid[:-]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Gromit0299

I wasn't lucky enough to get in the hole. I helped with other things, and did a lot of learning and asking questions. I do have some claustrophobia, but it tends to be when I'm in overly crowded places. I'd rather dig a bottle, than buy it online any day of the week. There's a huge pride from saying that you found that. I can see buying a rare one that you've never found, to finish a collection, but after digging a privy, there's obviously no comparison. It was awesome. Then again, I like the efforts of hard work.

You should have at least got in the hole for a picture.

Gromit0299

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: Gromit0299

I wasn't lucky enough to get in the hole. I helped with other things, and did a lot of learning and asking questions. I do have some claustrophobia, but it tends to be when I'm in overly crowded places. I'd rather dig a bottle, than buy it online any day of the week. There's a huge pride from saying that you found that. I can see buying a rare one that you've never found, to finish a collection, but after digging a privy, there's obviously no comparison. It was awesome. Then again, I like the efforts of hard work.

You should have at least got in the hole for a picture.

I KNOW, right? Didn't even cross my mind. I was processing everything. And when I get into that mode, stuff like that is just an afterthought.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Congrats! I had my first privy dig in October. There's nothing like it, especially if you find something good. My first pit was filled, mostly with slick tooled beers (junk), but we got a sparse 1890's layer with some keepers in it.

You should've taken tons of pics! In 10 years, when you're a hardened veteran digger, you'll be able to look back on your privy digging career and say this is where it all started! I took tons of pics of my first.

But as others have said, once you've dug a good privy, there's no way to stop! For my first year and a half of digging, I didn't imagine it'd get any better than my dump. But in the first privy, that changed, based on the sheer quantity of stuff I pulled out, and the fun I had. Then the second privy absolutely hooked me forever: those inks are enough to intoxicate anyone! As I have quickly learned, if you dig privies consistently, the quantity and quality of your finds will easily eclipse that of any dump, especially mine though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles