My husband dug a privy by accident??!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Rick:

Sorry I haven't responded in a timely manner. Between pits and myriad daily responsibilities, I've been strapped for time.

Since my original post the Privy Posse and a crew from over the hill (Seattle area) have excavated about 20 additional pits. The pits in Walla Walla average five- to six-feet in depth so, excavation is not as time-consuming as other locations, particularly those in the eastern U.S.

We've taken hundreds of bottles during this time including African Bitters, Hostetters Bitters, various cures, ground-lip fruit jars, whiskies (quarts, pumpkinseeds, coffin flasks in amber and clear), beers, wines, ales and medicines including Stewart and Holmes, J.C. Hockett (both Walla Walla embossed) and a good number of rare Washington Territory embossed medicines, Kennedy's Saltrheum, Dr. Miles Restorative Nervine, et. al. Most notably we dug a W.T. from Spokane Falls in aqua, of which there is only one other known. Unfortunately, the lip was broken...

Additionally, we've found your typical array of non-bottle artifacts including bisque doll's heads (with eyes), a Goodyear 1851 patent vulcanite ear syringe, coins, marbles (china, clay, Bennington, agates, a peppermint swirl, and a marble that is three inches in across), a brass lock, an undamaged English China transeferware bowl.

Generally we will dig in one neighborhood block per weekend, hitting all the privies from house to house. The privies usually are but two to three feet apart along the alleyways and date from the 1870s to the early 1900s. Interesting to note that the early 1900s privies are usually only partially filled and probably due to that fact that folks were getting indoor plumbing about this time. Needless to say, digging is good in Walla Walla.

I will attempt to post photos of this weekend's digs and cannot currently since I do not have a digital camera but will secure one.

bottlejunky

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the responses, i hope to gain some good relationships with you all, I have a feeling I could learn a lot. It is funny how things come your way. I hopefully got the picture thing figured out, check out some inks. There is a nice black glass 8 sided umbrella.

BA4FD4FFE1E44A3E84B409B7B8F85934.jpg

Attachments

• BA4FD4FFE1E44A3E84B409B7B8F85934.jpg
    BA4FD4FFE1E44A3E84B409B7B8F85934.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 60

bunchesofbottles

Reaction score
beau-ti-ful. i'm lookin at the green on the right. cutie patootie.......I mean cool

bottlejunky

Reaction score
We found a Warnes safe kidney & liver cure, 4 Davis Pain Killers different sizes, Dr townsends Sarsasparilla,2 Dr Langley's Root & herb Bitters , Burnetts Cocaine and lots more. Does anyone know what the little mug base clear weird shaped bottle is???Thanks..

Attachments

• 4BEDDD0D512A4CCC8328AC326FA6672F.jpg
    4BEDDD0D512A4CCC8328AC326FA6672F.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 62

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum bottlejunky, and welcome to the worlds most addicting hobby. I'm from RI as well, and have been digging and bottle collecting for about 3 years. That is an outstanding looking pile of bottles you have there. I am a member of the Little Rhody Bottle Club - I'll send you a PM about it, let me know if you are interested. Happy hunting!!

tigue710

Reaction score
wow... it always gets me, and I by no means say this in a negative way, how many of us search 20 years for a hole like that and then boom, all of sudden someone who has never had an interest in bottles before hits the mother load! It seems to happen all the time! No I've dug some beautiful stuff actually and I'm very happy with all of it.

A little warning though, that could be the best dig you folks ever have, and many many many of them will turn up nothing. Have a little patient though, you'll find good stuff again!

Congratulations![:D]

I'm in New London Ct, close to RI, if you ever want to talk bottles or want some digging tips drop me a private message through the forum here. Also do appraisals too!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal