My husband dug a privy by accident??!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlejunky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A couple of weeks ago my husband came home from work with about 50 bottles. He runs equiptment and was working in Rhode Island. He was digging into a slope and out spewed bottles galore. I got online and found tons of info and can't believe the things he found. Open pontiled medecines, black glass, umbrella inks, stoneware, lots of food bottles. The weird thing is as he dug everything seemed to be in groups of like items. Anyway, I am completely bit by the bug. I am a mother of three and after a long boring winter needed a hobby, THIS IS IT for ever. I can't believe the history of these bottles. I have bottles all over my house, dirt everywhere. Where do I go from here, do I have to pro clean them all?? How do I store them? I might sell some, what's the best way to price them, it seems like there are a lot of details like color, size pontil etc. We took our family on a bike ride to a historic area in RI and my husband and I could not stop looking around the river banks for a mound of something, Every old house i see i think BOTTLES,...............[:-] help... do they have a group therapy for this type of disorder?.[:D] I am trying to post some pix but says the files too large.

sweetrelease

Reaction score
oh boy theres no lookin back now[8|]. do you have any pictures? that helps alot. your husband got started the same way i did in construction. lets see some , matt

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
Welcome to the Forum "bottlejunky". At this site most all of your questions will be answered. I suggest that you visit your local library where books are available with regards to collecting antique glass. It sounds as if your husband clipped into an old dump site. Not unusual as construction sites usually deserve examination.

The Internet also has a wealth of information (such as this website) on bottle collecting, cleaning, history and exhibition. Searches including all the aforementioned phrases and additonal word searches will yield results.

Again, welcome and expect your new hobby to be addictive, adventuresome and educational.

bunchesofbottles

Reaction score
Sounds like another OCD to me.

Sometimes these things find us. I have lived in my home for about 11years and a couple of years after we moved in, I was standing under my carport watching it storm like crazy. I heard glass breaking, it was rolling out of the hill, bottle after bottle, "tink". I now try to beat the rain to them.

I have found the search feature on this site the most helpful. Chances are someone before you/us had a similar question. Lots of past posts with tons of info.
Happy collecting, good luck with your new obsession.

bottlejunky

Reaction score
I going to send some pics, I'm having a problem with the file. Thanks for the response.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Hey Cord...
How did you make out on that dig you said you where doing?The row homes? I forget what it was,but you said it was a number of pits. Rick

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Sounds like your Husband hit some good old pits with the backhoe.We rarely ever get the opportunity to dig construction sites,because they are never doing any demolition around our area.We have to rely on good old fashioned permissions from home owners.Good luck on your (New hobby) and welcome to the insane bottle club[8D].Send in a few pix I would like to see the stuff he dug up.Rick

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28