My husband dug a privy by accident??!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
I hope you realize how lucky you are! Don't make the mistake of selling those beauties, just make a shelf or space for them and you'll never get tired of holding them up and telling the story of how you found them. I always regret selling some of my first bottles because I thought that there would always be more of the same to come. It 's not that easy to dig such nice bottles. They are super nice! Great finds and all at once too. Wow. Keep posting, we can help you with many FAQs regarding history, identification, and approximate value if you need to know.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Kristen, is your husband hiring? I can't operate equipment, but I'm good with a potato rake and shovel. Great finds!!!
Mark

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
What truly amazes me is that when I am patiently digging a privy hole, I still tend to break a bottle or 2 by accident especially the pontiled ones which are so delicate. Your husband uses a backhoe no less and as we can all see, many bottles came out unscathed. What a testiment to being at the right place at the right time. Congratulations on the beginning of your new hobby. You are starting a little in reverse with great bottles 1st. Most of us don't get the chance to start that way. Hope you can post more of the finds. We all enjoy seeing the spoils of your labor. Great post and again... CONGRATULATIONS to you both.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Thats right don't think they are going top pop out of the ground like tomato's lol We thought when we hit that pit with 35 cobalt iron pontil's we would find a ton more in that town,that didn't happen, we found a few 70s blues but no more 50s Ips. (yet) lol hold on to what you got.

bottlejunky

Reaction score
In response to tique 710, I'm sure it will be one of our best finds. I understand where you are coming from. I also know that digging with a machine is a lot different than by hand. You know it is just something that came to me and my husband, almost a response to my prayers. It's wacky, God works in mysterious ways, especially in my life.
Thanks for the encouragement even though you would probably slap us if you could[:D]

bottlejunky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, by the sounds of all your responses I feel luckier than ever. MY husband did break some stuff, as soon as he saw bottles he did get in the whole and dig with his hands. Well hand, his left arm is paralized. he came home with his fingers scraped to hell because he had no tools. Im sure we would be tempted to sell some, thinking we could always find more, because they just fell into our hands. But I think we will keep them, your all right, we'll probably never find the things we did again.
Thanks, I have much respect for you all. I think it takes nerve just to ask permission, never mind dig 15' with a shovel.

jesster64

Reaction score
"a nice black 8 sided ink" , to me thats like saying a "nice" lamborgini. Beautiful inks and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures. I guess its like pulling the handle and seeing 3 jackpots on a slot machine. Glad your husband stopped the back hoe and rescued the bottles.

idigjars

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kristen and congrats on your finds. Awesome bottles!! Colored pontiled inks, you are blessed. Best regards Paul :)

E

Reaction score
Congratz and welcome to the jungle. If you are like me you will never recover from your infection with the bottle bug. You are fortunate to have a spouse who understands/shares in your new bizarre passion (my wife is a lovely/tolerate lady, but she will never completely fathom my obsession with bottles).

I would be interested to hear how others first contracted the "bottle bug," I won't post my memoirs here, but I will say that I became an instant bottle hound at the age of 8 (almost 40 years ago). I recall toting my shovel with me to school every day and digging (and yes actually finding) bottles/crocks during recess. Ahhh, if I could just go back to the late 60's again for just a day or two...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28