Mystery amber bottle, pontiled?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dshaneb

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and my name is Shane. I recently won a bottle and have a few pics of it, though I haven't received it yet. I will try to attach the pics. It looks like it has a pontil, a seam where the neck was added to the molded body, and its only marking is four dots on the base. Any idea of age? value? identity? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Lj22581.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22581.jpg
    Lj22581.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 65

dshaneb

Reaction score
Pic #3

Us53534.jpg

Attachments

• Us53534.jpg
    Us53534.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 73

crunchtime

Reaction score
These type of bottles are generally referred to as ale bottles. Age range is late 1870's - mid 1880's. Worth only a few bucks if being sold, but probably has much more 'personal value' to who ever actually dug it up!

dshaneb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, crunchtime. I was under the impression that from the pontil mark (if that's what it is), and the neck/body seam, that it would date before 1866. I thought that was the date pontils generally ended. To what date did they go? I'm new to this stuff, but thanks for the info. 1870s to mid 1880s is still cool. :)

Shane

dshaneb

Reaction score
Upon receiving this bottle and closely inspecting it, it is not the amber color that the lighting and dirt in the photo make it appear to be. When I finally get a digital camera, I will try to post a new picture. The bottle is actually a deep olive green color. How does this effect its age, value, etc...?

Thanks,
Shane

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
We dug these Black beers or Ales if you prefer by the hundreds or maybe even thousands in Tampa. We thru most back in the hole and covered them up. They are very common and although there are nice looking bottles. We had trouble selling them at Shows for a buck a piece. So , that's why we left most of them at the site we were digging. Brian

dshaneb

Reaction score
Do the four dots on the base signify anything particular? Just wondering.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem