mystery umbrella Inkwell

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Sometimes breaks almost look like it was the way the bottle was made. I think it was a clean break along a weak point, which can feel smooth to touch. I have never heard of umbrella ink with that kind of top, and if it was real I would expect it to be pontil-aged. I hope that helps!

PS- sounds like a stressful but exciting dig!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I've seen umbrellas with ground down lips, I even saw a set with the necks adapted to very old salt and pepper shakers. But I've never seen one that was blown that way.

Jim G

beendiggin

Reaction score
I also agree that it was a very clean break, smoothed a little by it's time in the ground , or water. Some breaks are that smooth and if in the right spot can be deceiving.

Powerhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

If it helps any, the lip edge has marks all the way around that look like tooling marks and the etching lines continue across the lip area as well.

I will do my best to post better pictures tomorrow, maybe a black or lighted background.

Keep the comments & ideas coming, I have a $20 bet that it was made that way!

Conch times

Reaction score
When I saw pics of it I said it was just a broke off top.

Today I got to see the bottle in person and then when I got home I looked at my umbrellas.

I just don't see any of mine having that much glass at that point of the bottle.
Then there's the taper in the neck, it's perfect all the way around. I just don't see
It breaking off that perfect.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Mabye it was suppose to have a top like all the rest of the umbrella inks but the "maker" decided to keep it head less? Just the way whimseys are born [:D]

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Certainly looks like the neck had 'sagged' down some after being blown. My opinion is its broken off clean. I suppose it could have happened when the blow pipe was snapped off, the blower was on piece work so let it slide, the merchant paid for it so used it anyhow. Interesting piece at any rate.

Maybe just pontiled at the wrong end? [:D]

David Fertig

Reaction score
I say broke.

I have a couple bottles around here that have the same problem. Not sure if any are an ink just like yours, but pretty much the same look.

I believe one is a green Larkin bottle. I'll see if I can locate any

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc