nasty bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

robert murray

Reaction score
i dug a old distemper bottle today and thought it was full of dirt but instead it still had the medicine in it i got it all over my hands.should i be worried about this, i did how ever wipe down everything with alcohol to sterilize the brush and my hands.and the area that it was in.any thoughts on how to clean the rest of it out of the bottle.

robert murray

Reaction score
it was an old cork bottle that said spouhns distemper comp, spouhns medical company,im just worried that it might make my dog sick or my wife never found a bottle with stuff like this in it.any info is greatly appreciated.

robert murray

Reaction score
ok i called the vet and he said that he thinks that someone put some thing else in it and that there is no real danger unless u eat it.witch is good news. but when i clean it to wear gloves.so if anyone else has this problem wear gloves and call a doctor or a vet.

jays emporium

Reaction score
I dug one of those Spohn's Distemper bottles one time that had some nasty sticky stuff in it. I had a hard time cleaning it out but I never thought about it being toxic. That was 35 years ago and no harmful effects evident yet.

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
D u g oneofthosetooand got it on my handsbut have no illeffectsyetIhavefeltfunnyforawhilebutseemtobeiperfecthealtheventhoughiseekangaroosandfeelgooodotherwiseasifeelnoillefectsofthegooystuffonmyhandsthursdayistartnewjobasmedicalguinniepigforhavingsomemysterioussleepeffectfromunknownsourceofintroductionofsomething to systemIlikebunnies

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Many years ago, I was cleanuing a bottle and the remaining contents was like a fire! Fortunately, I was at home and I was in the right spot to get my hands cleaned off. WATCH THOSE ORIGINAL CONTENTS!

Mike

robert murray

Reaction score
ok i boile dthe bottle and scrapped alot of the old junk out, then i used krudd kutter some cleaning stuff that was in our barn and it cleaned the bottle up very nicely. and i was able to clean the glass syringe that was in it.i also noticed on the remaining paper lable it said cough syrup so after reading that it made me feel better about it not being some other medicine like for distemper.so if this is aproblem for anyone else with nasty bottles boil them then use a cleaning agent.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I've never had any problems with getting "old contents" on my hands or cleaning chemicals. However I would recommend that anyone cleaning out any unknown contents use protective gloves and do their very best not to get anything on their hands/skin. The only thing I ever was super-careful with was that old hydrofluoric acid Dexter's product. Bad stuff and extremely corrosive on glass. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Cleaning a bottle with an acid product should be followed by a generous mixture of baking soda & water in the bottle to neutralize any remaining acid residue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles