natural glass color or SC amethyst?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Your guess and mine are much long the same lines. While they've had some lovely odd greens, and great vaseline type colors, this bottle stands out as of questionable color origin.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

No, my question is SCA or glass batch as blown by the gaffer. They very distinctly claim it isn't a clear bottle altered by either nature or man. To me, it looks fairly SCA. I'd want to see a pick of it right out of the ground, covered with dirt before I was ready to plunk down what I suspect will be $500 or more for it, if the rest of his sales are any indication...

Actually, I've dug SCA myself, or rather, found it on top of an old dump, so I know the sun itself can cause this.

Jim G
Sorry Jim, I was thinking this was from a more newbieish OP, I didn't even look. [:D] My answer would be that it is WAY more likely NOT the color of the gather.
Does that help?

sandchip

Reaction score
Here's a few naturals out of my collection. I surface-found the Chero-Cola in a ditch along a powerline right of way after the surrounding area was clearcut. I found the Coke frag near a black cemetery, also on the surface. As flowers and containers were replaced, stuff was dumped on the outskirts. Unfortunately, everything was "killed", probably before even being used to hold flowers. The dirt was sandy and very poor, with hardly any vegetation, which although in south Georgia, would be a lot like desert conditions, lots of sun exposure, resulting in the unusually dark color. The Artesian was a gift from an elderly widow back around 1988. Daddy and I did some work on her and her husband's house probably 10 years prior. It was the only bottle they had and I believe she said her husband found it. Their house was less than a quarter-mile from where I found the Chero. My point is that dark naturally irradiated SCA does exist. And no, I don't know the seller of the ink nor am I interested in the bottle. My point, as stated before, is that it doesn't have the same look as SCA, natural or man made. With all said, I still would want to see it in person before even considering placing a bid and then you still couldn't be sure. Like my bottles, if I didn't find 'em, I'd have doubts too.

7B1F58CBDC234FF3AE575068846D4402.jpg

Attachments

• 7B1F58CBDC234FF3AE575068846D4402.jpg
    7B1F58CBDC234FF3AE575068846D4402.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 62

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause