Neat uncommon colored slick ink, paint, or medicine. Question about mold seam?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shades of History

Reaction score
Got this inexpensive piece recently and have a question about the seam. The bottle is a basic small cylinder with an odd light topaz grey color, but I'm not sure if the seams are early machine made or a weird mold. The glass is a bit whittled overall so could be a mold. The seams go all the way onto the lip, but there's another crude looking seam near the rim of the lip that the side seams meet. Can anyone identify that type of seam? Got some silvery metallic residue I'm going to clean out. Probably just silver paint or something but gonna try to not get it on me in case it's some quack mercury cure.

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124

Nickneff

Reaction score
it looks to me
Got this inexpensive piece recently and have a question about the seam. The bottle is a basic small cylinder with an odd light topaz grey color, but I'm not sure if the seams are early machine made or a weird mold. The glass is a bit whittled overall so could be a mold. The seams go all the way onto the lip, but there's another crude looking seam near the rim of the lip that the side seams meet. Can anyone identify that type of seam? Got some silvery metallic residue I'm going to clean out. Probably just silver paint or something but gonna try to not get it on me in case it's some quack mercury cure.
It looks to me like it's machine-made you might been right on the timeline between machine and non machine but it looks machine to me and it looks like to me it's a shoe polish bottle that's what the shoe polish bottles look like around here you're always ran like that well one thing it's got going for it it's clean

Shades of History

Reaction score
it looks to me
It looks to me like it's machine-made you might been right on the timeline between machine and non machine but it looks machine to me and it looks like to me it's a shoe polish bottle that's what the shoe polish bottles look like around here you're always ran like that well one thing it's got going for it it's clean
Yeah shoe polish is a good guess. Still thinking paint is pretty plausible too. I've seen inks and medicines that look like it too, those little wide-mouth cylinders are sort of a multi purpose shape. I've seen them in every common type of mold including three piece and some machine made ones, but the seams on this are funky, and there's a very rare ink I'm trying to get with similar seams.

I think the pre-1908 machines were a bit different than later models if I remember right(done a bit of reading on dating machine mades as well as molds). Probably what this is, so I'll go with that unless I find out it's some sort of weird four piece mold or something.

Csa

Reaction score
Nice. I dug a couple very similar looking bottles, one with some brown shoe polish still in it plus the old braided wire stopper and applicator. Lots of bubbles and imperfections, really feel like its similar to yours and around 1910-1920 ish. Had to add a little mineral oil to jar to keep the polish moist. Still smells just like shoe polish. F005FB1B-3824-45DC-8E00-7517A3DABCE3.jpeg1D8FD4F5-7393-47E8-9BB7-72AC70E788E1.jpeg8E23A461-918F-4F7B-8B6D-12002F80DCB6.jpeg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese