Need help with a texaco sign

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

accountantadam

Reaction score
Hey guys - any sign experts out there? need help with value on a texaco sign. Here's a link to a magnet I found that looks the same as the sign (can't get the pictures he sent to my phone to load on the computer)
http://www.pilotshop.com/texaco-flight-engineer-available-magnet-p-3374.html
A guy has this sign and is wanting to make a trade with me. I've not been able to find anything on ebay. He says its porcelain, 2 sided ,and very heavy. Anybody seen it before, any idea if repo's were made of it? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Adam

epackage

Reaction score
That's such and odd sign, I imagine they were only at airports that used used Texaco....I'd think if there were repros of such an item that you would see a few on Ebay, I just don't know what the market could be for such a sign but I look forward to seeing what others in the know have to say...

epackage

Reaction score
Apparently these were reproduced if you read the description here....

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=6558079

LC

Reaction score
There are quite a few gas and oils signs that have been reproduced over time and I am pretty sure that some of them were definitely made with porcelain . Can't say as far as for the sign you are referring to .

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[8D] our car club built a traveling replica of a texaco gas station that was in Winona Arizona on route 66 in the thirties and forties, we bought all kinds of round oval and square signs that were reproductions. Most of them were porcelain but a few were enamel, We had a catalogue of repro signs but the one you have with the airplane was not listed......Andy

accountantadam

Reaction score
Very interesting...thanks for all the info everyone. I figured there were repos out there, I've not seen the sign in person yet, but after reading the article jim posted, i'm not real sure I'd be able to tell the difference anyway

accountantadam

Reaction score
been checking out ande rooney signs on ebay and the web, all the ones i've seen so far are single sided. wonder if they were all made that way (the rooney repos)?

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
I USED TO BUY FROM ROONEY YEARS AGO. HER SIGNS ARE ALL SINGLE SIDED, BUT NOW THERE ARE SCUM BAGS IN INDIA AND ARGENTINA REPRO'ING SO MANY GAS & OIL SIGNS IN ORIGINAL SIZES (UNLIKE ROONEY), DOUBLE SIDED AND AGED TO LOOK OLD. ONLY A TRAINED EYE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY IMAGES OF THEA ACTUAL TEXACO SIGN IN QUESTION, POST THEM HERE OR PM THEM TO ME. I'VE BEEN COLLECTING PETROLIANA SINCE 1985.

accountantadam

Reaction score
Thanks diggin doc....I did get to see the sign in person sunday night...it is single sided...not double...not sure why he said it was double....it was enameled on the back as well as the front, but the back was plain white. If I can figure out how to get a picture from my phone to the computer, I'll post it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen