Need some advice about a Slumlord (landlord) problem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woodswalker

Reaction score
Ok I'm sure everyones had their fair share of bad landlords but what would your opinion of this be.
I have recently moved into a new place next door to my best friend...who also has the same landlord.....first problems I had with the landlord was before I even moved in they threatened to evict me if the pipes froze because I couldn't get the gas company to come right out and bring me a tank....sorry not really my fault I don't think or any reason to be threatened.
Well now that it has gotten colder i noticed a problem with the furnace....it runs for about 45 seconds then off and 3 minutes later its back on for another 45 seconds....I called the landlord and said theres something wrong here and I think it needs a thermulcouple....well he came into my home with out calling or even letting me know he would be there....then a few days later shos back up and stood in my living room and said there was nothing wrong with the furnace....he fixed it himself. Then pointed to my brand new ceramic electric heater and said you have to get rid of that and if I catch you heating with an electric heater you will be evicted....my reply was pretty much...whatever. I'll hide it in the closet if you come by again.

Well big trouble happens last night down the lane at my friends trailer....her electric goes out so she calls the power company as most would do when they have an outage. Well apparently mr fix it landlord did all the wiring himself and the power company cut the whole line going to their house...so no power no heat and the landlord doenst show up until after dark and blames it on them....then comes to find out it was his faulty wiring.....
So he digs a huge trench behind thier truck then asks them to move it...only place to go is in a snow bank. So he just leaves them there with a propane heater of all things god forbid you use an electric...carbon monoxide poisoning much be a much better risk right? So I pick her and her son up and bring them down the lane to my house...around midnight we see lights down near her house so they go down there and the guy and his wife are fixing it....well all was good except the truck still left stuck by the landlord...so being the nice person I am I let her use my car drop me off at work and she can take her son to school.
Well a few hours ago the genious repair man landlord hooked a 240 volt wiring up to her trailer with out grounding it...she gets up to smoke coming from the stereo, flames from the tv and computer...PS3 and about 1000 dollars worth of other electronics. the guy comes in and all he cares about is if the furnace still works.

What rights do we have as tenants and is this any way to be treated when we pay our rent and keep their rented tin cans (trailer) nice and clean?
I've called the city ordinance about it but am afraid now to complain if anything goes wrong with my home...he's already made it clear he won't fix my furnace, practically blew my best friend up and treats us like scum....What would any of you do in this situation?
I'm calling a furnace repair man myself and will see if I am right in my assumption about it being the thermalcouple...but then what take it to my land lord and get evicted for getting something fixed that they wouldn't. Plus isn't it against the law to go into a tenants home with out giving them at least 48 hours notice or at least any notice. If I find a strange man in my house he'll get my little red baseball bat against his head...then I'll ask him what he's doing in my house.....

If anyone has any suggestions or may know a bit about these types of situation I would be glad to hear your opinion or a bit of advice....
And sorry for such a long story....

Amanda

LC

Reaction score
If it were me , I would find another place to live so as not to have to deal with a person like that .

LC

Reaction score
You are right there , a lease is hard to break without getting expensive . Its a shame people have to deal with that kind of a person . I have found over the years that landlords in my area are pretty picky because of having previous bad renters who did not take care of things like they should . Its a shame a good renter like you has to deal with that kind of foolishness .

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about most of it. It's his responsibility to keep the gas on. You only have to pick up the bill from the day the lease starts. If he turned it off it's his fault, it's friggin Dec. Are there elec pipe warmers?
I think there are 3 things required by law in all states. Working heat, a fridge and stove. Those are all his responsibility.
He should be required to carry insurance for nature or his own stupidity.
Most states give you the rights. It's very hard to get evicted. It usually takes months (for non payment of rent which isn't you) in which time you have plenty to work a case. He can decide not to renew. When he loses, he'd be stuck with court cost.
Make sure you document everything. All power outs and any inconvenience. If the lease states he covers snow removal, write down how timely it's done. Include the roof, EVERYTHING!
The utils are in your name now I would guess, he can't turn it off.
Find a pro bono for tenant rights if it comes to that.
I doubt MI is different that most other states.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't know lobes. Raise to much stink and everyone may have to move. That's a royal pain in the you know what. If the LL doesn't have money to cover it it could cost a bundle for the tenants.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
first thing you should do is read and understand the whole rental lease. That is the binding document between you and the owner. As a renter you will have certain rights in your state. In most states it can be pretty tough to evict a renter. Considering the owner it may be better to get yourself evicted than to try to break the lease. Problem dealing with psyco people is they dont consider laws and consequenses before they act.
Best to get out of there one way or another. THe only sure thing is its likely to go down hill with that owner.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Amanda,...Everyone has given good advice.....Get yourself informed first...(Knowledge IS power)....To me,...Having had my share of bad landlords,...Second thing, once you know your rights...Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself....You can be firm wiithout being rude...Third,...If it becomes ridiculous, I'd tell him that a lot of his procedures are very likely unlawful, and questionable, and use that as leverage to break the lease...He'll know deep in his flinty little heart that your right. If you find procedures he hasn't followed, make sure he knows that you know! Good luck. [:)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4