Need some advice about a Slumlord (landlord) problem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Problem dealing with psyco people is they dont consider laws and consequenses before they act.
So very true... but maybe because they never had to. Passing the problem on the the next one doesn't make the problem go away. If it's really that bad, making a stand can't hurt. The worst that can happen is you'll have to move, which would happen anyway. I say squeeze the extra months out and probably get it free. Relocating can cost hundreds in dollars and weeks of time (moving trucks etc.).
It also may sound worse now than it really is.
Trailers are fragile, especially if flat roof tin boxes (I lived in one for years). If the rent is cheap enough and you have to do some things yourself but it makes up the difference (shovel the roof, etc.)? Can you have a garden, store cars, animals, etc? If the freedom of a place and property around it is worth the headache, well?
As far as the heat and such, don't budge on that.
If he makes you freeze this winter and wants you to do stuff not stated in the lease, call him on it. A mobile isn't a tenement, they just kinda su%&.
Anyway, if your all moved in, hang there until the good thaw now.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I may have the best advice you can get. Let me know

EA4790E082724546B66A37FE95E4EC14.jpg

Attachments

• EA4790E082724546B66A37FE95E4EC14.jpg
    EA4790E082724546B66A37FE95E4EC14.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 75

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
1. Take your best stuff somewhere safe and don't be seen.
2. Make sure you have plenty of newspaper scattered around.
3. Put on some fried chicken w/ lots of grease.
4. Fall asleep [;)] Lock youself out [;)] Take a long shower [;)]
5. Year lease............... no problem, no more.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Contact your AG like Lobey said. Tenants have more rights than landlords.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Amanda,
I'm sure your first and over-riding concern is the safety of yourself and your children(?).

Yes, Michigan law states that your landlord MUST give you minimally, 24 hours written notice of intent to enter, UNLESS it is an emergency.

Under Michigan's new law regarding threat to self and/or family, if this guy unexpectedly "appears" in your home, and you feel any perception of danger, you have the right to wop him with that little red bat. It would certainly bolster your claim if he were holding something like say, a pipe wrench.

You do have the legal right under Michigan law to withhold payment of rent (it HAS to go in to an account) until the landlord makes corrections. These items must have to do with safety or health. If you were able to convince others to do the same, it would strengthen your claim that he is not fulfilling his legal (and moral) obligations.

I would also find out if there is a landlord-tenant assn in your county (where DO you live, Amanda?). I can help a little more if I know where you live. Laws actually can vary by county and local municipality.

Keep in mind, your landlord might just be an ignorant boob, who didn't think he was doing anything wrong by entering your home. He also is probably the type who won't pay a licensed person do do any work (they are over-paid, in his mind), so you might have to insist upon it. Your local code enforcement agency would probably like to hear about his unsafe electrical work.

There is a link on the State of Michigan's website regarding laws in trailer parks/communities. www.mich.gov

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]The Mobile Home Commission Act, Act 96 of 1987[/size][/font] Is he licensed to run the park? You can ask to see the license. It is required to be posted.

http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21975_21980-148047--,00.html

Does he have annual state inspections, required by law? Ask to see a current copy.

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]1. Promulgating rules and setting forth minimum standards regulating all of the following under Subdivisions 1(c) to 1(g) of Section 6 of The Mobile Home Commission Act, 1987 PA 96, MCL 125.2306:
[/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]d. General operation, maintenance, and safety. e. Certification of compliance.
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/selfhelp/landlord/lt_help.htm

More to come later. Have to run somewhere.
Bill
[/size][/font]

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your crappy landlord. I just had issues with the landlord at my last place and did all the research to build a rock solid civil suit. California is a notorious renters state with several of their own civil and health codes, but hopefully this will help. First you need to send a certified letter with a list of the problems that need to be fixed. That is very important so you can establish that the landlord was aware of the problems. In California they have thirty days to fix it. Second thing you need to do is MOVE OUT if things are not fixed!!! If you or your neighbor stay, it'll show in court that it really wasn't bad enough to be uninhabitable. If he files an eviction, you will have the right to explain your side, so take pictures, get repair estimates, a copy of the letter you sent him, etc. Third, call your local building code enforcement office and report the guy. In my case it took about two weeks for them to show up, but they drove a foot right up my landlords butt. It is a long process and in my case cost several thousand dollars to get out, but I will recover 90% of it in court. You can sue the guy for moving costs and a whole lot more. Read your states civil codes reguarding rentals. Read your lease. Your landlord is 100% obligated to provide a working heater. There is a ton of good advise online. You must follow certain steps EXACTLY in order to not be evicted. If it's really bad enough to not be habitable, and your neighbor has children, then an eviction should really be the last thing to worry about. Read, read, read, and when you think you know enough, read some more. Contact an attorney for advice. Some will give you free advice, and if there are several tenants willing to stir the pot, some might take a class-action suit for little to no up front. Good luck! Kick this guys a$$!

Wangan

Reaction score
If he doesnt have a pipe wrench in his hands the next time he comes in unannounced,put one in his hands after you club him.

ktbi

Reaction score
Amanda, Good advise throughout this thread. Looks like knowledge, action and DOCUMENTATION are keys. Please keep us informed....Good luck...Ron

Jim

Reaction score
There are good landlords and there are bad ones. This dude sounds REAL bad. Some of the things he has done are just plain illegal, and you do have rights.

Slumlords like this really irritate me. As a property owner (but not a landlord), I am very careful to do things correctly, as I have to live and work in my house and business. I guarantee that if Mr. Slumlord had any of those issues in HIS house, it would be fixed right away.

I only ever dealt with one slumlord, back when I was in college. I gave him every chance to make it right. My apartment was around 55 degrees, basically no heat. When the slumlord failed to fix it after being told about it three times, I walked out. He tried to sue me, lied his a** off in court, but it all failed. He got not another dime (except for my security deposit that he stole), and lost the potential business of everyone in that town that I knew or talked to. He also got a "visit" from the city building codes officer, which did not go well for him [:D]. ~Jim

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
As a legal beagle you cannot be forced out of your domicile based upon the failure of your landlord to live up to his legally expected obligations. Having been a landlord and well versed in litigation law I can tell you that there are persons assuming landlord responsibility that will take ignorance (on your part) as an excuse to violate landlord/tenant law. Again. I emphasize what Lobey and Gunther have said. namely, find a pro bono representative well-versed in these issues to serve as advocate. DO NOT speak directly with the landlord or assigned representatives (property owners) about these issues without first directing them toward your legal council. Above all keep a paper trail of all expenses associated with these hardships experienced by you. Moreover, affidavits by people who have firsthand experience of these deficits will weigh buckets in any litigation which might arise. KEY POINT: most litigious issues are resolved out of court. What this means is that the perpetrating party would much rather settle the issue without further expenditure of time and money. You hold they key of resolution to your satisfaction. Remember, you are not the offending party. It is because of the malfeasance of the landlord that you have experienced extreme duress and financial hardship.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1