Need some advice about an outhouse. Thanks!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

screlichunter

Reaction score
I have been able to get permission to some land for metal detecting. It's an old chicken and hog farm. Their is an old house that is the land owner said was built
around 1870 and has been vacant for at least 80 years. The house has the remnants of a well and a few out building and one out-house. The out-house was falling over, so I finished pushing it over, with the owner's permission of course. There was no hole under the out-house. Any suggestions to whether this would be worth digging?

Thanks in advance!

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Might want to make/buy a privy rod, I'ts easyer to poke to poke some little ones than dig a big one. DD

theroadwarrior10

Reaction score
It was probably filled in long ago for safety and sanitation reasons. It is worth digging down a few feet if not the whole way down. If the owner and you are sure it was the privy, then it is certainly worth digging. Best of luck and please let us know with pictures ect.

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks to you both! I will make a probe and give it a try. I will post anything I find. Thanks again!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Don't waste your time. You would be better off looking for a trash pile.

Think about this for a second........................you live in the boonies. You dig a hole to crap in, why throw your trash/bottles in it?

Remember you live in the boonies and digging another hole to crap in after you have filled it up w/ bottles aint smart.

If that sc in front of relichunter means South Carolina...........you would be better off coming to the show in Columbia Friday to look for bottles.

screlichunter

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! The property is actually about 5 miles from Columbia. I will probably do some probing just in case. What I am thinking or hoping is that being that close to Columbia and the house and farm being used during the Governor Ben Tillman era, there may be some SC Dispensary bottles around somewhere. Worth a try, for the possible rewards.

Thanks I will check out the show also!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I always stay away for "standing" outhouses un less I am going to use them [:D] 99.9 % of the time its the new new new one

KBbottles

Reaction score
May be worth probing the yard and area surrounding the structure though. Maybe the old old old one is behind it or in front of it. [:D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

May be worth probing the yard and area surrounding the structure though. Maybe the old old old one is behind it or in front of it. [:D]

also what he said[:)]

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1