Need tips for a beginner in Oklahoma

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

skampler

Reaction score
Hello all,

I currently live north of Oklahoma City and was wondering if you all had any suggestions for me. Oklahoma is not as old of a state as the east coast, so what luck would I have if I started digging? Also, how do you guys find places to dig, do you just wander in the woods until you find a dump, or is there a better way of finding places? Just curious as to where to start. Also, what tools are need besides a shovel and a probe? Any techniques you have to offer? I am very interested in digging and know I would enjoy it, but it would be nice to get some tips from the pros too. Thanks in advance.

jays emporium

Reaction score
I have been digging in Texas since the 1970's. The terrain in Oklahoma is a lot like Texas so I'll give you some tips to get started. A good place to start looking is along creeks near a town. Walk the creek beds and look for broken glass in the shallow areas among the rocks and sand. If you find some glass that looks old, try to track it to it's source. That will usually be a ravine off the main creek channel or sometimes right on the creek bank. In the early 1900's people would often dump their garbage, containing old bottles, in washouts or low areas along creeks. Then over the years it would either wash away in a flood or get covered over with silt. I have found lots of dumps that way.
My main digging tool is a 4 pronged potato rake when I'm digging in a trash layer. Be sure to wear gloves to protect your hands from broken glass. Hope this helps.
Jay

athometoo

Reaction score
that there is good advice . did you ever do any scouting around indianola , jay . i have a list of 500 ghost town in texas and the directions if ya would like it . sam
p.s your south texas im north texas and they are okla . seems to be same here on finding spots . 2 of the ghost towns are within 5 miles of my new deer lease in deep east texas .

jays emporium

Reaction score
Sam, I looked around Indianola a little. Most of their stuff washed away in a hurricane and old bottles sometimes wash up on the beach during storms. I haven't found anything there myself. It was dug alot in the 1960's and the lady in the office next to me has some bottles her father found there. Hostetters, black glass wines and best thing is an open pontil green umbrella ink.
Most of my finds have been around the German communities in south central Texas. I have dug lots of dumps but no privies. I'm not sure they even existed here like they did up north. My Grandma remembers using an outhouse but there was just a hole dug in the ground, not lined with anything, and they had no reason to throw any bottles in there.
Jay

skampler

Reaction score
Thanks Jay for the advice, I'll be getting out there soon to see if I can find anything! One more thing, how old are the bottles that you find? Anything from the 19th century?

capsoda

Reaction score
You are also in the home of the Indian Territory bottle. Before Oklahoma was a state it was Indian Territory but that didn't stop people from moving in and building towns there. Look for the oldest small towns in your area and take a good look around the creeks and gullies there. Then when you become famous from finding Indian Territory bottles you can send me one. They have always been a little to pricey for my budget but Ebay has brought them down a little. Keep in mind that what you find common in your area my be rare as all gitout somewhere else.

skampler

Reaction score
Ha. I'll let you know when I become famous. I actually got interested because my wife bought a bunch of old bottles at a garage sale in her hometown in the panhandle of Texas. Among those bottles that she bought for a dollar each was an amber Indian Queen Bitters. We just thought it was super cool, but after some research we realized that it was worth over $700, and needless to say we got pretty excited. But I guess I'll let you know when I find a dump full of Indian Queens =)

jays emporium

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of that Indian Queen or send me a pic? I've been looking for one of those for my Bitters collection if it is original and you want to sell or trade it.
Jay

skampler

Reaction score
I actually sold it about a year ago, since I really needed the money. I can't say I regret it now, but maybe in a couple years when I get a collection going I will. Here's a picture of it just cause.

B20DBC1CBBCC490AA0975E9ACDA49917.jpg

Attachments

• B20DBC1CBBCC490AA0975E9ACDA49917.jpg
    B20DBC1CBBCC490AA0975E9ACDA49917.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 53

glass man

Reaction score
OH MY GOSH! WANTED A QUEEN FOREVER AND ONE IN THE LIGHT AMBER!!![:)] FOR A BUCK??!! I REGRET YOU SELLING IT AND IT WASN'T EVEN MY BOTTLE,BUT MONEY NEEDED I CAN UNDERSTAND! JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR