New Digging Site Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bloodj2

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

Explored a new dig site this past weekend, and came up with a few things that I'm sure are pre-1900. I've seen a few things about the machine oil bottle, but the sources seem conflicted on the exact time frame of the bottle. Some say 1870's some say 1890's. I trust you guys to know. :)

The other piece pictured is a strangely shaped bottle. Maybe a perfume? With cork and likely dried out original contents. Is this pre-1900 too? / what is it?

Other context in this area was plenty of pottery. Some hotel stuff, but also some really pretty blue china, some spongeware, a brown ceramic tea pot with a chunk taken out. And something that I still need to get a good picture of, but I'm pretty sure it's pre/peri civil war. It's an old paneled perfume bottle with alternating flowers and Union shields, unfortunately, broken but it may give context to the rest of the items.

The context is pretty messed up, it's a hill side and in addition to those items, there were also some 1940's items nearby (red white and blue pepsi with paint, painted quart milk bottle, etc).

IMAG0903.jpg

IMAG0904.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

Should I try to remove that cork and clean out the bottle or just leave it as is?

Thanks!

John

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey John, nice finds in my opinion. My humble input is that the Sewing Machine Oil, which my Wife collects, is from 1880 - early 1890. They don't appear to me to pre-date 1880 but the ring neck type seem to have gone out of favor by 1895. We find numerous Flavoring Extract bottles using the same style bottles.

The other little vial (almost) seems to indicate either perfume or tiny pills. Circa 1890 - 1910. Carter's Little Liver Pills came in a similar bottle but not exactly the same. It appears that yours contained a liquid so that may rule out pills. Hard to know these things for certain, that is a mistake I have made for years and the good folks on this forum have proved me wrong many a time and I am thankful for that.

I'll go away now, BUT I'LL BE BACK !

bloodj2

Reaction score
Hey Botlguy!

Thanks a ton for the information. What do you think, is that a pontil mark on the bottom of the vial? Hopefully heading back there this weekend to find more cool stuff!

In the mean time, here's the top of that other perfume bottle that seems like it's way earlier than the others, but I don't really know. What do you guys think?

IMAG0907.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't think you have a pontil scar on the little guy, too late in manufacture. An in person inspection by a knowledgeable collector could tell quickly. BTW, I wouldn't try to clean it myself, I like it the way it is.

This last little piece is wonderful, can't really tell what it held, maybe perfume, ink or possibly some medicine. I'm sure others will have some input. I know I like it a LOT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause