New Dump 2 Play In!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Well it wasn't the bottle kingdom I thought it was going to be. At least not at first. I only had 30 minutes to play today and that included a half mile walknjog. I ran down the side of the bank and there was scrap metal everywhere. Some bottles too although a bit spread out and looking like it might be a little shallow. I managed to find a cool looking ACL Turtle Wax.
IMG_3795.jpg

A look at the back
IMG_3802.jpg

Then I found a nice large crock jug. The same style as a preserves jar but in the gallon size?!? That's a lot of jelly. To bad it was busted. If I find the rest of the pieces that will come home with me. Then I found a few smalls, nothing great. The DEMEROL has a busted neck!! Is this the type of med that would have the neck busted off of it to use?
IMG_3818.jpg

A quarter for size comparison.
IMG_3822.jpg

Another med I found.
IMG_3810.jpg

The base
IMG_3815.jpg

By then I was running out of time and had to go so I took a different route on my way out and found a crock jug with the handle and lip knocked off and a GLEN ceramic insulator (circa 1901-1904) laying right on top of the ground.
IMG_3806.jpg

Not sure why it looks blue, its white. Here's a side view.
IMG_3807.jpg

Then my last find was this sweetly melted Reddings art deco from Amsterdam. So this dump does have a bit of promise. I haven't dug any deeper then 6 inches so far but I will when I have a lot more time.
IMG_3822_1.jpg

Side view of the meltedness
IMG_3827.jpg

How would ya like to kiss this twist lip?
IMG_3828_1.jpg

That's all folks. Swiz

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Now there's a dedicated bottle digger!,...Jogging in, hitting the dump and trotting back out,....[;)] Swiz,...it does seem as though there might be some more goodies further down,....Best of luck when you go back,.... Joe

RedGinger

Reaction score
I wish we had dumps we could play in. It's usually about digging until your back is broken and you stand up feeling dizzy for us lol. I'd like to just sit and scratch and pull out the goodies that way!

As for the Demerol, that is very cool. It does seem like something they would use in the Army or something when they had to snap it open to administer it quickly. I'm no expert, though. As has been said on here, narcotic anything is popular with the collectors.

swizzle

Reaction score
Well I might have my answer soon enough on the Demerol if I find anymore smalls like the one I dug today. It just seems like to clean of a break to me. I guess it was quite addictive and was usually given in an injection. So I know now to wear my gloves and watch for needles too.

Now isn't that the fun part, standing up really dizzy. To counteract that effect you clear out a spot behind your hole and instead of standing up you twist and jump out of the hole and then spin around in circles until you fall down. Wait a few minutes and then you wont be dizzy anymore. Drink a beer and do it again. Well...it works for me anyways...sometimes.

Joe, I'm sure there's older and better here. There's gotta be somewhere's if not I'll dig this one when I want ACL's and art deco sodas. At least I have a big playground for when I'm really bored. I'm hoping to find some intact crocks and jugs or at least a few glue togethers with some print and blue on it. Swiz

Wangan

Reaction score
I think they call that Demerol bottle an ampule.I have noticed any drug related bottles are popular on EBay.I really like that Reddings,hope you find a another better example.They probably burned the dump and I bet there is much more underneath.Dig it man,dig it!

Whenever you stand up and feel dizzy,a nurse told me to put your arms over your head to counteract the blood drainage from your head and/or ears.

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

There's gotta be somewhere's if not I'll dig this one when I want ACL's and art deco sodas. At least I have a big playground for when I'm really bored. I'm hoping to find some intact crocks and jugs or at least a few glue togethers with some print and blue on it. Swiz

sounds spoiled to me :p

I'd LOVE to dig ACL or artdeco bottles - beats 1950s gerber baby food any day .

I think the southern tier is pretty well picked / cleaned up/ buried...... sigh.....

where you at in Upstate NY ? I;m near Binghamton, always up for a road trip :)

~ AL

swizzle

Reaction score
Just south of the Adirondacks, between Amsterdam & Fonda. The access to this dump really sux at this point. I'm looking for other dumps as well. Tomorrow I have 2 more leads to run down and one should be really decent. That should be TOC and older. I had one of the Reddings bottles before and started an art deco collection. Ended up selling it and about 600 other bottles. I'm building my collection back up and hopefully replacing a lot of good ones that I sold. I still have leads on 5 more dumps total and I'm gonna try to nail as many down this weekend as I can.

The melted glass was only in the one small section of this dump. This dump looks shallow and wide spread so hopefully I find an older spot soon. A 1920/30's art deco puts me a little closer as everything I was finding started in the 1950's. Supposedly this dump has several large international dump trucks and an old bridge across the creek. I walked about a hundred yards and could see a good distance up and down the banks and only found one of the trucks. There's more to be found and explored and next time I'm bringing my cam. Swiz

jesster64

Reaction score
dig a hole, drink a beer. dig a little deeper, pause for another beer. the deeper you go, the better you feel...

swizzle

Reaction score
Well I finally had a bit more time to play in the new dump yesterday. It was just breezy enough to keep the skeeters away and to dodge falling tree limbs. Its always nice to begin your exploration of a new area with the discovery of a coffin vault?!? How'd that get there?
IMG_3834-1.jpg

We'll anyways after moving on a bit and exploring a bit more I found that screw tops can be good for something besides target practice. Like this natural terrarium.
IMG_3842-1.jpg

After getting some pics of this and some mayapples in blossom I decided to wander the side hills a bit in search of another insulator but only found a brookfield. Still its a pretty addition to my fine yard sale selection.
IMG_3867-1.jpg

After digging a few test holes I finally came back to my busted crock spot and after finding the rest of the base I decided to bring it home and glue it back together.
BEFORE:
IMG_3852-1.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_3856.jpg

I'm going to the store later to get enough jelly to fill it. Just gotta figure out how many jars are in a gallon. Then after digging a bit more I found some other odds and ends that I probably should have left like this baby bottle and small corker.
IMG_3862.jpg

and this cracked G stopper. Anyone need a G stopper, if not its getting tossed.
IMG_3859.jpg

I did find this decent looking ACL TRU-ADE that I think is pretty cool.
IMG_3868-1.jpg

I was hunting hard and heavy for another whole Reddings local art deco soda but found about a six pack of them busted. But you know its not so bad when kids bust up your favorite bottles when they use these to do it.
IMG_3883.jpg

All in all it was a great day and better then sitting home waiting to cut the grass again. Well thanx for reading and have a great day. Swiz

green dragon

Reaction score
Looks fun .

Did get some digging yesterday myself, on the old farm my dad grew up on - only good find was a nice ACL milk that I broke getting out :(

Dug about 2 ft down, 100s of plain brown beer bottle and cans ... did start hitting some flat top cans, instead of pull tabs, so we'll see.... it;s deep enough might have something.
I know from dad this dump goes back to at least the 40s or earlier, but the farm dates to early 1800's..... so has to be more, or another dump, we'll be exploring . wish us luck .

will be starting my own thread - not meanign to hijack this one - keep postin, swiz, it;s inspiring ... even if new stuff. beats what some of us are digging ( gallon clorox jugs anyone ? )

~ AL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib