New Dump 2 Play In!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
No worries on hijacking. I was tossing one gallon and quart clorox bottles out of my way at this dump. I did dig a one gallon coca cola bottle. No paint left on it at all. If it wasn't for the cap I would have thought it was a wine or apple cider bottle. Get some oxalic acid and soak those beer cans in it. You never know what you'll dig. Does your farm have any stone walls, swampy spots or little ditches just off of a creek? Those are some good places to start looking. I almost found another dump today. I was following a shard and bucket trail. The cute little rusted, blue enamel type but then I saw a farm with some cows who looked too friendly I had to turn around and go back. Dang Bovines. Swiz

green dragon

Reaction score
Swiz, thanks for the encouragement.

this dump is right off a back road, over abank, there is a small spring right near that ( like 50 ft up the road ) , but makes the ground real wet, I was hitting water at 2 feet, but I know it goes deeper.
Lots of rusted beer cans - some came out so-so, how deteriorated is allowed ( not my field of interest, so ... ) . lot of common black label cans, and some old something-or-other flattops. lots of black brown bottles, and clear 'federal law prohibits resale or reuse' flasks . found a lil cobalt square bottle, screw top , though it ws a noxema, but showed it to my mom and she said not what she recalls - I figure junk but hey, I brought it home, it;s pretty, lol.

will post a few pics of the 3 or 4 keepers ( couple half pint milks, newer 1972 Pepsi's from the top of the pile ). hoping it goes earlier.

~ AL

swizzle

Reaction score
The cans are most likely common but you never know. You want a can that is structural sound and it can be so rusted that you can't read the label. Soak it in a mix of oxalic acid and water. I'm not sure the mix ratio. Soak them for a few hours and then use cold water and a soft toothbrush to wipe off the rust. You'll be amazed at home much of the label is hiding under all that rust. I used lime juice on a couple cans and couldn't believe the difference. I can give you a link to the rusty bunch. They deal with all of that type of stuff. I'm still waiting for one of the guys to give me the location of an older dump so I can give him the location of my can dump. Dump trading can be fun. Maybe you should see if there's anyone in the area that's interested in just the cans. Swiz

sunrunner

Reaction score
sum dumps,shud stay undug. thers a diference,be tween artifacts and just plane junk.

Wangan

Reaction score
One of the members on here (HemiHampton) helped me with a 1946 Budweiser can I have.He has an extensive collection of flat tops and cone top cans.He is always looking for cans and is good at restoring them too.You might PM him with any questions or ask him if he wants any of them.There might be some age once you get digging down.You just never know what might be anywhere.Good luck.

KBbottles

Reaction score
sunrunner... I disagree partially with your statement. While yes "sum dumps shud stay undug"... there are plenty out there even into the 60s that can yield rarities. ACLs, cans, deco sodas, milks, insulators, etc... are collectible and in my own humble opinion will probably increase in popularity over the next 30 yrs. Plus... when there are no current opportunities to dig older stuff in the immediate future, why not try a newer site to at least keep you busy enjoying the hobby? I've been digging in a couple sites that have layers of really new junk on top, but there are pockets of much older stuff underneath (like the strawberry puce drake's bitters I found last friday), so you never know. For a young collector such as myself, I have no problem holding onto some of the younger bottles for future possibilities. I have developed a nice little collection of milks in a couple months. Even though most are common, they are wicked cool to look at for now. Not to mention, even in dumps that aren't as old there is always the gamble that you may find a significant "late throw." For example, one of the huge sites I have been frequenting, I know of two examples of incredible finds there: 2 full cases of blobs that were tossed and two beautiful local crocks with blue glazed text on them. Not to mention, sometimes old jars that were kept in the family for 20-30+ years finally end up being tossed. So... needless to say, the possibilities really are endless and while yes, every find may not be a cream of the crop BIM, pontiled artifact or something significant and old, the chance of finding something great is STILL there. You just never know what someone may have thrown away and when they got rid of it. The more you dig, the greater your chances of scoring big!! Anyway... that's my two cents.

TreasurDiggrNY

Reaction score
Congrats on the finds Swiz, you definitely have the passion for research and digging. That will pay off. Great finds coming for you[;)]

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm working on it. I have another dump lead to check out 12 miles from here tomorrow morning. I placed an ad for Free Farm Help!! in trade for rights to dig bottles. I figured that the old timers who are having trouble squeezin' the crap out of buffalo on a nickle would jump for it. So far one reply close to a town center. He sounded confused about what I'm interested in. I guess he thinks its all garbage. He says there's a spot on his farm that is full of all kinds of old rusty metal and junk and to come down and take a look. So if I like what I see then I'll make some kind of deal with him and hopefully get to bring along a buddy every now and then if its a decent sized dump. Only time will tell. Swiz

Nickevlau

Reaction score
A long lost cousin of the Reddings? Superior Bottling Company, St. Paul MN, made Owens, pretty sure, oval with a diamond through it.

E997E616FD44485F8ABD3DB88E4EF081.jpg

Attachments

• E997E616FD44485F8ABD3DB88E4EF081.jpg
    E997E616FD44485F8ABD3DB88E4EF081.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 51

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973