New kid with an old George Eagle Soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mgn5553

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, any pic I take would have to have some kind of background. And that first one is just plain white, so again, that's not my pic...

Here's John, Paul and George Eagle:

26B1DEC7016A47F1B3ACCE2CE4045D59.jpg

Attachments

• 26B1DEC7016A47F1B3ACCE2CE4045D59.jpg
    26B1DEC7016A47F1B3ACCE2CE4045D59.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 88

mgn5553

Reaction score
epackage is correct. It's not the same bottle. (Gasp!) Mea culpa, apologies and all that...

I composed a rather long email this morning in answer to epackage's observation / question. Unfortuneately I think I sent that email directly to his mailbox. So here we go again:

At the time I found the bottle I did not how to transfer photos to my computer, nor did I know you could even do that. But I did know I wanted to have a picture of a "George Eagle blob-top soda with the swirls, his name, etc..." (the bottle I have). So I googled around, found that pic (the upright shot against the clear white background) and sent it to "MY Pictures." I DID know how to do that much at least.

As I thought about it this morning, three things stuck out:

1) Any photo I take of anything would have to have a background. Ergo, I did take not that picture.

2) I noticed the top of the bottle in the first pic appears to have a "bonnet effect" where the top sides kind of hang down a little. And my bottle doesn't do that.

3) There's also in that pic a chip at the bottom of the bottle, directly under the "GE" of George. My bottle has no such chip.

I attribute all this at least in part to a lousy memory at age 57.

I'm also dismayed to realize that I sent an email about the bottle to an auction house out West and I may included that "faux pic" among the pictures. YIKES !

I hope this clears up the confusion. And in case anybody's wondering, yes I do feel like a jackass, knucklehead, dope, you name it !

mgn5553

epackage

Reaction score
No biggie, I just happened to notice they looked different and I wasn't sure if it was the "angle of the dangle" or another bottle. Either way it's a beauty ........

epackage

Reaction score
Welcome to the club, I believe I am card holder #1.........lol

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mark,

For what it's worth, I found a listing for Geo. Eagle in Michael Polak's book, Bottles Identification & Price Guide - 6th Edition, published in 2008.

It's on page 333:

"Geo. Eagle

Dark green, 7", rib body pattern, iron pontil,
applied mouth, American 1840-1860......$800-1200"

There's no photo accompanying the listing.

Edward-Everett-Horton.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey again Mark,

I found another "price guide" listing, also with no photo. This is from the Kovels' Bottles Price List - 11th Edition, published in 1999.

"Geo. Eagle, Spiral Rib, Medium Blue Green, IP, 1845-1855, 6-7/8 in.........................$935.00" pg. 220

I gotta put in this disclaimer: Warning- A lot of bottle people dismiss these kinda price guides as being overly pie-in-the-sky from a "real" value standpoint. I dunno, as I'm not a good appraiser of bottle "value." I'm learning a bit, but slowly. The authors "base" their price guides on unsourced auctions, sales, internet transactions, etc. Gotta be best possible examples, in many cases. I'll leave further critiquing to those more experienced than I.

...but there is a voice to go w/ that photo.

Thanks for the Fractured Fairy Tale, Pat. I've always been a big fan of Rocky & Bullwinkle and the whole gang...

Mr._Peabody.jpg

mgn5553

Reaction score
surfaceone, Thanks for the additional info.

I've done all the research I can on this thing. I did see where a COBALT of the same bottle went for a whole lot of money at auction. Mine is obviously not a cobalt and that leads me to my question of the day:

Regarding the exact color, in all the photos I've put up here my Eagle looks like a darkish green. But I'm looking at it right now IN THE SUNLIGHT and it's NOT dark green. It's more of a bluish-green or greenish-blue. So, would I call it a "George Eagle AQUA Soda" ???

George and I would both appreciate any helpful assistance in clearing this up.

Signed,

Wondering (mgn5553)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli