new spot, new technique

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DIGGINDAVE

Reaction score
I took a quick walk today down the creek that runs thru the old town center. There are about 15 colonial houses within a quarter mile radius, and I'm guessing almost all of them threw their trash into this river, and a few houses actually border the river as well. I've walked this before this year, but the water was really high. Now that the water table has dropped a little bit, I was able to see bottom when the light hit just right. I found a few nice shards on the bank, along with many crock pieces. I always love finding those shards with the cobalt decorations still visible. Anyways, I walked about 50 yards downstream and found a few broken insulators on the bank, along with about 100 discarded bricks. I had a walking stick with me, and started scratching the gravel river bed haphazardly in about 2 feet of water. I felt glass and pulled out a blown blacking bottle. Unembossed and common, but nice to see a sign like that so quick. Within a few minutes I pulled out a nice whole cheese crock, and numberous broken meds. I made a glass viewing box tonight that I'll try tomorrow so I can see under water. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics tomorrow of some nice ones.

sandchip

Reaction score
Here's mine that I made 15-20 years ago of 1/4" acrylic. I rabbeted the joints, doubled the handle edges, and used acrylic cement to glue it up. I painted the inside walls with flat black to cut any glare. It's got a crack now I keep duct tape on, but it's been a pretty good one and sure helps you see what's on the bottom. Looking back, using a 5 gallon bucket would be a lot easier and faster. Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your finds.

sandchip

Reaction score
The picture would help I guess.

FD8DB54E8D8446DE954901435C7501E3.jpg

Attachments

• FD8DB54E8D8446DE954901435C7501E3.jpg
    FD8DB54E8D8446DE954901435C7501E3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 49

sandchip

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, leaving a quarter inch or so of the bottom as a lip for the plexiglas bottom to fit up against, using silicone caulk to seal it in place. Some 5 gal. buckets are a waxy sort of plastic, so I don't know how well the silicone will hold up over time.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles